Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather
Have a thumb sticking out of your chin? 8 47.06%
Live in a world where Toby Keith music was the only music available? 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Fire Jack Effel Now!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If people think that Jack's job is an easy one they are mistaken.

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

Harder than playing Omaha Hi/Lo against Sammy?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, nothing is harder than that!

Matt
Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 PM

I was surprised to find out this was not the same nutcase that went batshit crazy during the Terrence Chan incident. Who would have guessed there would be two people with such similar writing and debating styles?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=110525589

And yes.. as a player at the wsop, and as somebody who fears nutty women, I am afraid to reveal my identity.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MrFizzbin,

Your assumptions about me are far from correct. While poker has its share of perpetually-unemployed degenerates, I'm not part of that demographic.

I'm 35 years old. I worked a regular job for nearly 9 years prior to becoming a professional poker player. During that time, I got a good sampling of the rewards and pitfalls of the corporate world. I split my working years about equally working for a huge company first, then a small company afterwards. Due to changes in management at both jobs, I got to experience the entire array of management types -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]
fair enough. I apologize for the incorrect assumption

[ QUOTE ]

You say that my post "screams naivete". I maintain that your apologist response is the one on the naive side.

There are few more overused (and almost always inaccurate) excuses than, "I would love to have done things differently, but upper management has my hands tied." That old line still works well to this day, because it's nearly impossible to refute, and most people tend to believe that upper-level managers are often greedy and clueless regarding day-to-day operations.

It's easy to picture some evil, cigar-chomping Harrah's bigwig telling a well-meaning Jack Effel, "Screw the players! They'll play no matter what the conditions! You can't have another room under any circumstances! You can't stop the cash games if the tent is hot, noisy, or dangerous! Profits, Jack! It's all about profits! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually thats not how I view it. I'm not apologizing for Jack, but I've worked with enough marketing and accounting people that some of these decisions have handprints I've seen before. There is one person resposible for coordinating the WSOP. Commissioner Jeffrey Pollack. He's responsible for the prep work, The cards, the marketing etc... Jack is responsible for the tournament execution. He is one of many that make a case to Pollack.

As I said before, Harrahs is a very bottom line company, This is based on actually talking to people at Harrahs and seeing their bad decisions first hand. Whats your opinion based on that Jack is the sole reason for failure?

[ QUOTE ]

You are fooling yourself if you think Effel had a directive from above not to stop the cash games if the tent was too hot. That's a day-to-day operations matter -- something that people like Effel are given the power to use their discretion to handle. The people above Jeffrey Pollack know very little about the logistics of running the event. They just want it run well and for it to show a nice profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my question is who have you spoken to at Harrahs about their org chart and who's responsible for what.

Look there is a lot to pick on Jack for,
The color up last year,
Bad floor decisions both years,
The Heads Up Tournament this year

Those are unequivocally in his ball park if you want to make your case based on those issues I agree.

I'm sure there are better people to run the series but I think you are piling on him for things outside his area and letting the real screw ups skate. You can get a new TD, but I think that if you ignore the role that other parts of harrah's plays in this years cluster flop its for want of a better term naive, and isn't really going to fix anything...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 PM

Orange,

"El D linked an interesting bio of Jack........

Very mischievous of late."

Huh? I have no idea what you are talking about. I just Googled "jack effel" as I had no idea who that was, and that's the first google result. What's interesting or mischievous about that?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 PM

Just want to say how awesome it was today in the 5k shorthanded tourney to have the person in front on me in registration line to my immediate right and the person behind me to my immediate left.

To the staffs credit, I complained to the closest floorman to switch me immediately, because this was bs, and he allowed me to switch with the next table over. A retarded seating system, but at least the floor tried to fix it. Alex Jacob was at the first table though, and he seemed kinda upset that I was able to switch tables.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just want to say how awesome it was today in the 5k shorthanded tourney to have the person in front on me in registration line to my immediate right and the person behind me to my immediate left.

To the staffs credit, I complained to the closest floorman to switch me immediately, because this was bs, and he allowed me to switch with the next table over. A retarded seating system, but at least the floor tried to fix it. Alex Jacob was at the first table though, and he seemed kinda upset that I was able to switch tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT?! Allowing you to switch tables is like way, way worse than the seating problem.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Orange,

"El D linked an interesting bio of Jack........

Very mischievous of late."

Huh? I have no idea what you are talking about. I just Googled "jack effel" as I had no idea who that was, and that's the first google result. What's interesting or mischievous about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure today really. Weird - I must be getting old.

Orange
Old 06-29-2007, 07:17 PM

I have found a picture of ENE-

Dead serious- this is the exact voice I heard as I read the posts.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and if y'all want a hint as to princessENE's identity, E.N.E. are her initials.

That's not a guess. It's a fact.

Have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:47 PM

Let me give all of you folks the 'real skinny' on Effel and why he WILL be replaced at the end of the '07 WSOP.

THE TOP 10 REASONS JACK WILL NOT BE BACK.

10. His first WSOP experience was in 2005. He was brought in by Kenny Lambert Jr. who (like his father) has been summarily 'relieved' of all of his recent positions for reasons that a lot of people know but can't talk about. Jack Effel was Kenny's 'Bag Man' and the 'Dalmation' to Kenny's 'Clydesdale' Johnny Grooms. All of the above were summarily fired with 2 days remaining in the 2005 WSOP (although Grooms probably shouldn't have been - see 'guilt by association').
9. Of the three, Effel was the most hated and untalented (by far) because he was unbelievably defensive about his lack of qualifications for the job and offset that by being imperious and dogmatic about things he knew nothing about.
8. Effel has always walked into WSOP and Circuit Events AFTER they were already set-up and arranged (a 10-month process in the case of the WSOP), and he simply had to 'look' like he knew what he was doing, defer responsibility to higher-ups and pick up his monstrous envelopes and unreported tokes.
7. This year, he was in charge of setting up and arranging the WSOP (something he knew next to nothing about) and the resultant first 2 weeks of chaos showed his lack of understanding, foresight and administrative skills.
6. He is one of the most unlikeable people (especially at his relatively young age) in all of Poker.
5. He is NOT a multi-tasker as I learned on a daily basis in working with him for 2 1/2 years ( I was asked to be a senior staff member in 2007 and turned it down solely for the reason that I would not work with or for Jack Effel).
4. He gave Harrahs and the WSOP mucky-mucks a dog-n-pony story and show - using all of those corporate 'buzz words' that they love so much - extolling his qualifications and also smoozed all of the 'Pro Advisory' committee members so that they would give him their imprimatur.
3. Most of the staff members hate him (except for the idiots who wouldn't have a job unless someone like him was in charge - Jack likes to hire people less-qualified than himself so that they won't show him up).
2. The mucky-mucks don't even like him anymore and he WILL be the fall guy for any problems that cropped up...
... and last but not least, the Number One reason Jack Effel will not be back next year...
1. ... HE SUCKS BIG TIME.