Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: San Francisco Bay Area: Your favorite things to do or places to go

Not sure if anyone is interested, but Maxim / Sauza are holding an event at Harlot this Friday. Not sure what to expect, however if at all interested, RSVP at

RSVP@Maxim.com

I'll be there with quite a few friends / coworkers and am always looking to meet other 2p2'ers.

No personal affiliation, however a girl I organizes promotional events and usually points me towards the more interesting ones. Hasn't steered me wrong yet.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One good thing SF truly lacks - decent pick up hoops.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. It's killing me inside man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh... the public in general is never really any good.

I think you need to join leagues to find any real competition if you had a solid squad.

Another place I like to play at is Palega (Silver, it's uh... near San Bruno St.) and Chinatown Recreation Center (Although people complain that the people there are terrible.)

I play there because they're free, open gyms.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in a few leagues and I drive to other places to play all the time. I've found pretty high quality runs with some Pro-Am guys.

It's just crazy to me that there aren't 20 basketball nuts like me in a city this big who would go out every day to play pick-up. I guess I could get a gym membership to the Bay Club or whatever it's called, but I'm broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to find a good pickup game as well. Delores Park sometimes has run, there's been times I've passed by when it's empty as well. I live by Glen Park, so the Marina is just too far. I might check out that spot down on Silver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dolores Park is sooooooo bad that I lived 2 blocks away from the court for the last 3 years and refused to set foot on the court. Bunch of whining, cheating, hacking, and shot jacking ime. That place is dead to me.

If anyone wants to run, the UCSF gym (China Basin) sells basketball cards for $35 - $45 for 7 or 8 use cards (I'm a member and don't rember the specifics of the card). While run is sporadic most days - good games consistently run on Friday after noons from 3:30 - 6:00 and Saturday mornings. Don't know if you need to know a member to purchase the card, but if you're looking for decent run with good people in a nice gym - this is it.

Also, if anyone wants to get a team together to play in a league, let me know. I'd love to get a squad together.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 AM

I hear that San Francisco has some of the worlds most dominant roast beef.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:32 AM

In a couple of weeks my mom and dad are coming to visit me for the first time since I moved here and I'd like to make them dinner using something nicer than grocery store meats. Does anyone know of any good butcher shops in the East Bay? Or downtown, if you're not familiar with this side of the bay?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a couple of weeks my mom and dad are coming to visit me for the first time since I moved here and I'd like to make them dinner using something nicer than grocery store meats. Does anyone know of any good butcher shops in the East Bay? Or downtown, if you're not familiar with this side of the bay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the East Bay, but try Little City Meats at Stockton and Vallejo (just off Columbus) in North Beach. It is worth the trip. They will also tell you how to cook it and write cooking instructions/recipes on the outside of the butcher paper wrap for you.

Take cash and it is closed on Sundays.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear that San Francisco has some of the worlds most dominant roast beef.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlike that Arby's from your college years on a Sunday afternoon... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Av,

OK. Here's a sweet secret parking lot for you.

Howard between 5th and 6th. On weekends it is only $5, cash only though, no change.

[/ QUOTE ]

is it just me or are those people about to be run over??

(they really need to get this street view thing in more places...it's can be very helpful in real estate)
Old 11-10-2007, 05:44 AM

Yeah, Delores is pretty bad. I don't mind whining and hacking as I grew ujp in the hood that's what I',m used to. But it's too windy and you can never consistently find a good game.

I'd be down with joining a league. I really hate to pay to play basketball though. Maybe I should just move to NY.

Finding games, both indoor and out, has been just brutal lately. It's like people don't even play basketball anymore. St. Mary's used to be my spot and that placed used to be cracking, and now there's literally no one there on nights with open gym. The one place on the south side of SF that has any kind of lifeline whatsoever is Palega (thanks to the person who mentioned it).
Old 11-10-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they have what you want, Cafe Rouge on 4th St in Berkeley has really high quality stuff, as well as excellent quality prepared meats. Phone them in advance to check you can get what you want though.

http://www.caferouge.net/market.htm
Old 11-11-2007, 02:14 PM

I was just about to post Cafe Rouge. Fantastic quality with everything they have, but especially their beef which they dry age on site. It is a tad pricey, but worth it. Also, if you want something but they don't have it on hand, you can call 1-2 days before you need it and they will usually be able to order anything you want.