Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Default What is exploitive play?

A general answer would be appreciated, as well as any recommendations for books that explain the theory in more detail.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: What is exploitive play?

It is a different kind of exploitive play!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 PM

Exploitive play is playing to allow your opponents' mistakes to cause you to profit.

Crude example: Player X always raises on the button if its a limped pot.

Exploitive play: Limp with pocket aces when he has the button, so you can re-raise him later.

Playing with exploitive strategies is pretty automatic/standard at higher levels (I use a TAG base and deviate from it to exploit specific table/player conditions). Looked at as a single hand, an exploitive play will seem weird many times, but generally there's a larger context to justify it.

I suggest not worrying too much about this for now. Focus on developing a good TAG game and profit from that. Once you've mastered that, add in some other plays.

I can't think of any of the books I've read that detail exploitive play in the way that I use it, its been trial and error (much more fun to learn this way).
Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 PM

Exploitive play refers to strategies that may not generally be optimal, but which are designed to exploit previously observed flaws in a specific opponent's strategy. Simple example, you're playing a series of Rock Paper Scissors games. The game theoretic optimal, and unexploitable strategy for this game is to pick randomly every time 1/3 rock, 1/3 scissors, 1/3 paper. But if you do this you also won't be able to exploit flaws in any opponent's non-optimal strategies, so you are guaranteeing yourself of having no edge.

So what if after 10 trials your opponent has gone Rock every time? You might get the idea that on the 11th trial he's a bit more likely to pick Rock than anything else. So instead of selecting randomly, you should play Paper. If this guy never adjusts and keeps throwing Rock, you can keep throwing Paper. So your new strategy of "Paper every time" is an exploitive strategy against his "Rock every time" strategy. But by doing this you yourself also become exploitable, clearly "Paper every time" is just as bad a general strategy as "Rock every time". It just happens to exploit your opponent's particular weakness.

For super detailed discussion of game theory concepts as applied to poker see Mathematics of Poker.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:28 PM

another example:

table is playing super tight. players aren't even betting
top pair / mid kicker.

increase frequency of blind steal attempts.
increase frequency of C-bets.