Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Florida High stakes poker and blackjack look good

Had a friend call who played at Coconut Creek last night and he said all the pit bosses were saying 1000 max buyin 5-10 would be open within a week. I excitedly get on here to read the details but the wording of the legislation definitely makes it seem like the status quo. Now that they got their blackjack and slots there is going to be no incentive to up the poker limits. Someone please tell me I misunderstood the new leglislation.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I actually interpret this to allow 24 hour poker. An earlier draft of the compact specified that the Seminoles had to abide by provisions related to hours. This was removed in the final compact. The way I read this is that they currently conduct poker in a way that abides by Florida law as it relates to wager sizes and pot sizes but not to hours and they will continue to do so.

It's amazing to me that there are no limits to how much one can wager in slot machines, lottery tickets or pari mutuel wagering but there are limits to poker wagering. I wish the Florida legislature will pull their head out of their ass and fix this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I think that by removing the hour limits they will maintain the status quo. I also think that this is going to be tied up in court for years. What pisses me off is the pari-mutuels campaigning against the compact. The Seminoles took a neutral stance when they attempted to pass the Class III slots last year.

The bottom line is no one cares about poker and poker limits. No matter what the buy-in, they get the same rake, which pales in comparison to the square footage take of the Class III slots.

I still think that any increased gambling is a good thing for poker in that it will make the fight for higher limits easier in the future. My only problem is that I don’t gamble, I only play poker.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Seminoles took a neutral stance when they attempted to pass the Class III slots last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your memory is extremely faulty. Seminoles put a lot of money and effort into killing that referendum.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:47 AM

IMHO.........I think the compact does not address the "12 Cumulative hours" issue, so they will continue with the 24 hours..........also the tribe will interpret the "However, a cardroom operator may conduct games of Texas Hold-em without a betting limit if the required player buy-in is no more than $100."
just as we would all hope they do....REQUIRED..ie: you are not required to buy in for more than $100, but you can if you want to.......

If this proves to be the case, then the parimutuals will be even more pissed and may take another look at their own interpretation of the legislation....

who knows....

the legislation is HERE

Funny thing is the lottery in FL .......a bunch of people pissin away their hard earned money.......completely acceptable...lose as much as you want

Double standards....you gotta love 'em
Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 PM

So the bottom line of all this is:

Florida poker has not changed at all yet and doesn't look like it will change soon after these new laws were passed.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 AM

The feeding frenzy begins:

Florida House speaker asks state Supreme Court to review gambling compact
Old 11-21-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The feeding frenzy begins:

Florida House speaker asks state Supreme Court to review gambling compact

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew the Rubio grandstanding was coming, I just thought it would happen sooner.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Rubio has been very vocal with his opposition ever since the compact negotiations started, this is just his c-bet.

Gellar is also making noise about the comapct. This is to be expected since the south Florida pari-mutuels have both Gellar and Rubio in their pockets.

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum is also being very vocal in his oppositiion.

Geller: Crist is 'terribly misguided' on compact

McCollum Rant