Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Florida Law and the Rake

I play in Jasper, Florida at Hamilton Jai Alai and Poker. They have a very aggressive rake structure there, taking the first dolar at $5, the second at $15...until the max of $5 is taken at $45. I've read that the law in Florida says the max rake is 10%, but this rake structure seems to go over a little. (They always round up to $1, never taking 50cents like a few places do...) When I mention this to dealers at other card rooms around the state, such as those in Tampa, they say Jasper is breaking the law. But how could Jasper be so flagrant about it if that is true? Anybody understand what is happening here? Thanks!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Florida Law and the Rake

come play in california, then complain about rake. talk to the brush/poker room manager, they should clear things up or make the necessary adjustments.

or have you iced.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:04 AM

That's the same rake structure as all the rooms here in South Florida, although one or maybe two of them pull rake at $6, $16, etc. I'm sure it's justified by saying it's rounded correctly. They can't take .50 because .50 chips aren't in use.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:21 AM

I took a quick look and didn't find a statute or regulation which set 10% as a maximum rake in florida.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They can't take .50 because .50 chips aren't in use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
They could easily change a dollar for quarters for the rake if they wanted to even though they only use dollar chips.
Some 2/4 and 3/6 limit games will do this.
I've even seen it on some limit 4/8 games but most of the time they seem content to just rake a dollar at a time.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:24 AM

Thanks, psandman, I should have done a search before posting my question about the rake. I went to Florida's official website for state statutes at http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm

I don't see anything in Chapter 849.086 about a maximum rake, just that it has to be clearly posted. I guess even dealers aren't right all of the time.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They can't take .50 because .50 chips aren't in use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
They could easily change a dollar for quarters for the rake if they wanted to even though they only use dollar chips.
Some 2/4 and 3/6 limit games will do this.
I've even seen it on some limit 4/8 games but most of the time they seem content to just rake a dollar at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose they could. Let me change the word "can't" to "don't."
Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, psandman, I should have done a search before posting my question about the rake. I went to Florida's official website for state statutes at http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm

I don't see anything in Chapter 849.086 about a maximum rake, just that it has to be clearly posted. I guess even dealers aren't right all of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to clarify, thgere are also adminstrative regulations. I looked for those, but they are more difficult to search through. I saw a regulation about the rake-ff but it didn't set a maximum. However it is possible that there is a regulation out there setting a 10% max and I missed it.