Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Harrington on Holdem III Discussion Group

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the correct answers are the ones that it says you actually do. Anybody can get a pretty high score just by realising that pros normally make the correct decisions and picking those answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, you can't just cover up the answers with a piece of paper as you go?
Old 06-24-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, you can't just cover up the answers with a piece of paper as you go?

[/ QUOTE ]
Or just simply answer the question before you read on?
Old 06-24-2006, 08:21 PM

my score was 388, but I really suck in tournaments
Old 06-24-2006, 08:23 PM

That just prooves that you learned during reading the book. What means that your real score now would be higher (if you made the test with completely new questions).
Old 07-03-2006, 05:39 PM

Is this discussion really dead? I think there is so much more to discuss about this book.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem #10

You come in with 9-3 offsuit after a limper and there are several callers behind you.

Score 4 points for betting the flop (OOP to players who have not yet acted) after catching air.
Score 0 points for checking with the intention of folding the hand.

Dan's reasoning: "You didn't invest $300 in this hand to check if you missed the flop."

Surely this is a [censored] joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not a joke. I disagree with some of the hands, but not this---obviously the call with 9-3 was made with the anticipation of making a play at a ragged flop, otherwise it is a waste of time.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely not a joke. I disagree with some of the hands, but not this---obviously the call with 9-3 was made with the anticipation of making a play at a ragged flop, otherwise it is a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You came in with 9-3 offsuit with the plan of having position on a couple of tight players.

That plan got foiled when several players came in behind you.

At this point I think it's in Ivey's best interest to get away from the hand without losing any more chips. Firing at the pot with air when there are several players to act behind you is -EV. Luckily nobody flopped anything.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:55 AM

These are the some of the problems where I disagree with Harringtons solution, and which haven't really been discussed:

Problem 2) Raising is by far the best play I think. Against loose players. You have position as well, and I think that you gain a lot by raising.

Problem 12) I like a raise here preflop with k9o. My hand is decent, and I want to get heads up with the CO while I have position with dead money in the pot (the blinds). The fatc that CO has played solid isn't bad. That only increases the chance of him folding to my CB.

Problem 13) I really hate limping here. I probably raise with ATo to 200. If he calls and an ace hits on a non drawheavy bord I just check-call for pot control. I generally think Harrington limps to much, which doesn't give him the oppurunity of making an CB and winning a decent sized pot.

22b) Harrington advices the miniraise because a bigger raise just says: I have a monster. Oh really? We are playing against pros here and they should be able to identificate the min.raise as a monster (?).

25b) I check-call the flop here, and lead any turn for ½ pot. If daniel calls I am done with the hand unless I improve.

26b) I bet the flop. Really dont see any reason not to bet. Maybe Harrington is to result oriented?

I was very surprised about how tight you should be at the bubble. But i really don't think it is correct to only call with monsters. Because if you keep passing up a lot of +EV edges on the bubble you will lose to many chips on the bubble.

45b) Why not allow Arieh to make a bluff at the pot by checking? We are going to call anyway. By betting he will usually only put money in the pot with hands there are favoutrite against us.

Problem 46/47: I call with all the hands. The BB isn't directly despreate right now, but the blinds adds up nice in his stack. Harringtons range is just way to tight. BB could easily be pushing with any pair and some suited conncetors or just making a bluff. Maybe he is a tight, but he is probably able to make a move as well. What about the rule of 10% chance of making a bluff???

48f) I fold river. Calling is just spew. The information Daniel gets by calling Williams bet shouln't be very valuable because he should be able to change his game. Also the sending the message is just not an argument for calling . Why not just allow to Williams to play aggressive while Daniel just waits for an oppurtunity to trap him.

Problem 49) Raising preflop with k2o while you have position shouldn't be a mistake. I probably call here, but raising is certainly an option as well. If Dan Harrington only raises with the good hands it is easy for his opinions to outplay him.
I fold when Williams check-raise turn. We could easily be drawing dead and we have a lot of reversed odds (or whatever it is called).

Generally Harrington prefers to check the nuts instead of betting. I prefer betting because most people thinks you are going to slowplay monsters. In hand 50 I prefers to bet right into Daniel when Williams makes his straight. So far Williams has checked his strong hands, and Daniel is going to have a hard time believing that Williams really would bet right into Daniel with the nuts.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem 2) Raising is by far the best play I think. Against loose players. You have position as well, and I think that you gain a lot by raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof as they say. Where is yours?

Why is raising " by far the best play"? This implies that the $60 call he advocates (only slightly above the raise) is significantly inferior to your play...why is that the case?

---Leavenfish
Old 07-04-2006, 01:31 PM

AQs on a loose table with 2 limpers. There is a good chance you have the best hand. Also by raising you make people with small pocket pairs / suited connectors / ax pay to watch the flop they probably miss. By raising here you will win the pot very often with a CB on the flop even though you missed the flop, but you have to check-fold the flop if you miss and it is four way.