Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How interested are you in networking with other parents in your community regarding your baby's deve
1 19 57.58%
2 3 9.09%
3 4 12.12%
4 6 18.18%
5 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Default If I were to write a Book....

Hey guys

I'm the dude that wrote this article:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ID=#Post7828437

Apparently it was quite successful and well received in this forum.

The question is, if I were to write a 200-300 page book similar to the way this article was written in terms of content, would you guys be interested?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: If I were to write a Book....

While the article was great, what are you going to add to the printed marketplace that isn't going to be covered in future volumes of PNL? Even if you did have some stuff to add, would it really be enough fill up a whole book? You are probably better off writing them as single articles and either submitting them to the 2+2 internet mag or, should you want to make some money off of them, solicit them to Cardplayer or Bluff.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 PM

Tien, as I did enjoy your article and it has helped me a lot. What Sean Fraley said was about right ... submit to CardPlayer or Bluff ... also u might be able to help out on CardRunners also.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM

What is PNL?

It's not only me writing this book. I have a lot of top notch players interested in contributing to the book itself.

What you guys think you know about poker these guys would totally rip it apart.

Meaning restructuring the entire way small stakes players think.

Yes there is enough to fill up an entire book. Hell there is enough to fill up 2.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 PM

By the way, the printed market place really sucks when you are talking about learning how to actually CRUSH small stakes no limit.

That is what we are trying to accomplish with this book, step by step guides to truly crush small stakes, not just throw a bunch of useless / meaningless theories at you.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 PM

I'd be interested, but I'm a bit of a book junkie. I agree with you that there is really nothing out there right now aimed at small stakes online no limit. I have no clue if this target market is large enough to generate adequate sales to compensate you for the trouble of writing a book though.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, the printed market place really sucks when you are talking about learning how to actually CRUSH small stakes no limit.

That is what we are trying to accomplish with this book, step by step guides to truly crush small stakes, not just throw a bunch of useless / meaningless theories at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would buy it, but then for 30 bucks i'd be daft not to, but if you do do it, please take your time, no hurry like.

Mack
Old 09-20-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is PNL?

It's not only me writing this book. I have a lot of top notch players interested in contributing to the book itself.

What you guys think you know about poker these guys would totally rip it apart.

Meaning restructuring the entire way small stakes players think.

Yes there is enough to fill up an entire book. Hell there is enough to fill up 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

PNL is the general abbreviation for Professional No Limit Hold 'Em (Flynn, Mehta, Miller), currently at volume one with a volume 2 being worked on right now and most likely another in the pipeline. Back when you were last here it was referred to as Small Stakes No Limit. They have the goal of starting with the basics and then teaching you how to analyze and plan the whole hand. I've read it and in my (admittedly limited) opinion the material from the first volume is really good and points to a lot of promise from the later volumes. These will deal with more specific elements of the game, as opposed to the first volume being pretty much devoted to NL fundamentals, and then Planning Around Commitment and Stack to Pot ratios (two key elements used in their method of hand planning). I strongly suggest that you read it before starting on your own book project to see how much of what they have to say overlaps with what you have to say.

In my previous response I did not mean to give the impression that I was totally against you writing a book. In fact, based on your previous articles I would encourage you to write a lot. Instead I wanted to point out that if you do you should meet the following requirements:

1) Meet a need that has not yet been met, either in one book or in the combination of other popular books on Hold 'Em. I don't want to pay $25 and find out that 75% of the book is simply someone else saying stuff that was contained in the other books I already own.

2) Make sure that any new material you have is sufficient to actually fill a book. After you and your associates have written what you have to say, compared it to the current body of work available for purchase, and discarded redundant material, you may find that what you have leftover is some of the most groundbreaking material ever to be written about small stakes NL. Unfortunately, it is all covered in 50 pages. Single sided. Double spaced. In this circumstance, publishing as a book would be a really bad idea. This doesn't mean that you don't want to release it in some commercial form, it just means that you need to find the medium best suited to the material, not vice versa. Maybe it would be really good as a series of magazine articles in CardPlayer, or maybe it would best be presented in a two hour video, or maybe a one day seminar. Either one would quite likely be able to make some money for you and return appropriate value to the customer.

Based on your previous work, I think that you have something important to say. I just think you need to analyze carefully as to the best way to say it.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:02 AM

What do you think you can learn more from, that article written in 30-40 mins or all those books compiled in your shelf? In my case, if I had read my article first instead of the half dozen books I've read, I'd be a much much much richer person.

I believe that it is the style of how I wrote it that pushed a lot of SSNL players to really change their game and force some of the things they weren't doing down their throats.

I haven't read those other books but I am really skeptical about "books" from these authors because most of the time they like to come up with these secret "theories" that I myself have never even heard of before.

If you compiled every single article written by actual PLAYERS on 2+2, you would have a book more powerful than anything written out there. I've learned more from articles on 2+2 than any book ever written out there.

It seems to me that the blood and mud poker players winning and losing everyday seem to have a much closer sense of reality than these big name authors.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:31 PM

I'd buy it. Heck, I'll proofread it for you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] For free. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Onaflag........