Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-22-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Quick & Easy video card qn for you pros

I have a new Dell Inspiron 530 w two monitors (1900x1200 & 1600 x 1200) hooked up. I need to order a video card to get a 3rd display (2001FP) running as well. However, I may splurge in the future for a bigger screen, ie 2560x1600.

I see the FAQ has this:

[ QUOTE ]
"So which graphics cards can I use?"

There are more and more compatible cards being released every day. As mentioned before, the best way to find one is to go into your local retailer or search online merchants and specify "dual link DVI". Here are some compatible models though:

* Nvidia Quadro FX 3000, 4000, 3400, 4400
* Sapphire X1300 XT, X 1650 Pro and X 1650 XT
* ATI FireGL V3400, V5200, V3300, Radeon 9600 Pro
* GeForce 7800GT, 7950GT, 8500GT, 8800GTX, 8800 GTS

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone know what is out there now and what would currently be my best bet? Is there any diference between brands in terms of quality/reliability etc; or is it six and half a dozen?

Thanks for any pointers.
dogs
Old 11-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Quick & Easy video card qn for you pros

Can your Dell Inspiron 530 take a second video card?

If this is it:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/pcs/re...nspiron-530/p2

I have to say it does not look like it has a spare PCIe slot.

If so, you will need to get an old-school PCI video card to run a third monitor, which are still available, but none of the above.

Also, if your system is the same as I just linked to, the 8600GT video card it has should be fine to run a 2560x1600 screen in the future.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:32 PM

Ugh. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Dell support guy said same thing,. I'da totally bought a different machine if I knew that. Feck; I assumed all desktops could plug in extra stuff at the back.

So, can I replace my vid card with one that does 3+ displays & is compatible with Vista?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, can I replace my vid card with one that does 3+ displays & is compatible with Vista?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very few vid cards that can drive 3 diplays on the market. Those that do exist will not be cheap imo.

What you can do, is purchase a PCI card (Not PCIe), which will fit in one of the empty white slots on your motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814140085

is the cheapest suitable card (a PCI GeForceFX 5500) I could find with a DVI port, only a quick newegg search so there may be cheaper models.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:32 PM

tyvm for the info, dave.

I'm now officially confused tho'... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

So the video card you linked to is something I can just plug in the back to have 3 separate monitors running?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the video card you linked to is something I can just plug in the back to have 3 separate monitors running?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I hope so. To be clear, it will run 1 additional (third)monitor, you will still be using the original vid card for the other two.

The card I linked is a good few generations older than the cards you listed in the OP, and uses the PCI expansion slot - more often used for modem, soundcards and other devices requiring little bandwidth. It's performance will be shocking compared to a modern card, but since it will only be used for pokers etc. this is not a problem.

It will be incapable of running a 30" 2560x1600 display - but with any luck your original card will be OK for this should you upgrade to a bug screen in the future. If not, you'll have to replace the original card.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:08 PM

Well now I spoke to Dell people and they say teh PC can only address one of the slots at a time - either the PCIe or teh PCI, but not both together to allow 3 displays. I dunno how much I trust these peeps tho.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 AM

Yet another reason to NEVER buy a prebuilt machine.

Sorry bro...good luck though!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well now I spoke to Dell people and they say teh PC can only address one of the slots at a time - either the PCIe or teh PCI, but not both together to allow 3 displays. I dunno how much I trust these peeps tho.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suspect they meant that the PC couldn't use the integrated graphics and the external card. This is true, but you're talking about using two external cards. It is possible that the computer cannot address both the pcie slot and pci for video, but I've never heard of this.