Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Running questions

I've recently taken up jogging/walking to lose a little weight. I'm not obese, just looking to lose some vanity pounds and get a little more stamina going. The problem is I am terrible at running now and have virtually zero endurance (a few months of poker + bad diet + almost no excersizing). I used to be in good shape in h/s when I played sports so I think getting it back shouldn't be too hard. Here's my running work outs, please share your thoughts and what you think i could do better/worse.

I'm on day 4 week 1, but as of now I just run about 1/2 a mile then walk a quarter, then run another 1/2 ish then walk 1/4 then come home. In total it takes about 15 mins and I do ~1.5 miles total everyday. After this week is done i'm going to try to increase the distance I run. I also wear a weight vest while I do this.

Is there a better way for me to build stamina/endurance, or is the way i'm doing it the best? Basically I'm just making myself run a littel farther every week until I can consistently go out and run 2 miles w/o stopping to walk with my 10 lb weight vest on.

TY for the advice,

-LO\\
Old 11-27-2007, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Running questions

I'd just drop the weight vest and get to two miles w/o stopping asap. Its going to take time to gain back some of your stamina and endurance so just make sure to get in a run daily. You don't need to be running very fast really, pace your self so you can keep going w/o stopping for a walk. If you need to walk, do so for 1/8th of a mile and then start running again instead of 1/4. Don't forget to stretch well before AND after your jog.

improve your diet too, gl.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:13 AM

I'd drop the weight vest. No reason to injure yourself.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Too ambitious. Definitely no weight vest. Out of shape. Should not be doing 1 mile of running this soon. Just run the 1/2 mile each day. Or run five minutes, walk 1 minute, run five minutes. That's plenty for the first week.
Go six days and take the seventh day off.

Second week. No set plan. Listen to your body. If the first week's schedule is too easy, add a rep. If not, repeat the first week's schedule.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd drop the weight vest. No reason to injure yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]