Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

[ QUOTE ]
That's convenient because I love people who get offended that they're dumber than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool you are an uppity atheist. I was already aware of that.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 PM

me and my wife belong to different religions. we also have different opinions on religions also.
we dont want to have any kids ever. so not a problem for us.

if we wanted to have kids though then i wouldnt have any problems in my wife trying to mold the kids to her religion. who cares.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
me and my wife belong to different religions. we also have different opinions on religions also.

if we wanted to have kids though then i wouldnt have any problems in my wife trying to mold the kids to her religion. who cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that you should care. It's not a small thing that they are being brainwashed into. It's a core belief that can (and in most cases will) run throughout their entire life.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's convenient because I love people who get offended that they're dumber than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool you are an uppity atheist. I was already aware of that.

[/ QUOTE ]
And you get offended and call people names when you're too dumb to make a reasoned statement about something. I, too, was already aware of that.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Brahe, Descartes, Newton, Leibniz, Gassendi, Pascal, Mersenne, Cuvier, Harvey, Dalton, Faraday, Herschel, Joule, Lyell, Lavoisier, Priestley, Kelvin, Ohm, Ampere, Steno, Pasteur, Maxwell, Planck, Mendel, Lemaitre

small list of googled people who are smarter than you who were devout christians.

i don't give a crap enough to write out some 28 page long diatribe about the existence/non existence of god. I'm not looking to change your mind or argue any point except for the fact a lot of atheists come off as tremendous douchebags in this thread and many others relating to the subject.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:39 PM

well, never underestimate the power of indoctrination done at a young age, before your logical and reasoning abilities have really developed, it can get even the smartest of individuals as noted.

It is why people force their kids to go to church as toddlers, before they can really understand or appreciate any real beliefs. If you waited to introduce religion until the late teens you'd get a lot more agnostics and atheists, as more people would actually be making a choice, instead of just doing what your told until the beliefs and the fear of betraying them are ingrained into you by the time your old enough to question it.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Brahe, Descartes, Newton, Leibniz, Gassendi, Pascal, Mersenne, Cuvier, Harvey, Dalton, Faraday, Herschel, Joule, Lyell, Lavoisier, Priestley, Kelvin, Ohm, Ampere, Steno, Pasteur, Maxwell, Planck, Mendel, Lemaitre

small list of googled people who are smarter than you who were devout christians.

i don't give a crap enough to write out some 28 page long diatribe about the existence/non existence of god. I'm not looking to change your mind or argue any point except for the fact a lot of atheists come off as tremendous douchebags in this thread and many others relating to the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your self-righteousness about your dumbness has made you the most obnoxious poster in this thread by far.

I should clarify that I don't think all Christians are dumb. I think you are very dumb.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:46 PM

I've always had severe contempt for those who require a spouse with the same religious/spiritual/philosophical outlook.

One of my best friends is staunchly atheist, and is likely going to marry a hard-line Black Christian woman. They both are perfect for each other, and manage to understand that differing outlooks can be navigated through within a relationship and, too, can serve as a way to further their own beliefs.

You're future children could easily reconcile their church-going with your lack thereof. Just treat the issue with respect and honesty for all involved and you'll be fine. Work with your wife to allow your children to be exposed to several philosophical outlooks and have them choose for themselves as they grow. Anything else is selfishly arrogant.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:58 PM

He's partially right, though. Many posts were riddled with douchbaggery.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that you should care. It's not a small thing that they are being brainwashed into. It's a core belief that can (and in most cases will) run throughout their entire life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to speak for him, but allow me to speak for him. I think he means that the label is what doesn't matter. The Value system which his kids will create is something that the parents will ultimately have clear control over, regardless of what kind of religious institution they go to.