Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 AM

Default How much has Bush hurt America?

Sometimes, with all the AC BS that gets posted on here, it's easy to forget that there are actually important consequences to politics in the real world. Many of us have been saying it for years, but it bears repearing that the Republcian party, as led by Bush, has been an unmitigated disater for the country, no matter what their apologists claim. From Kevin Drum:

I wonder how long it will take America to recover from George Bush's uniquely blinkered and self-righteous brand of ineptitude? In the past five years he's demonstrated to the world that we don't know how to win a modern guerrilla war. He's demonstrated that we don't understand even the basics of waging a propaganda war. He's demonstrated that other countries don't need to pay any attention to our threats. He's demonstrated that we're good at talking tough and sending troops into battle, but otherwise clueless about using the levers of statecraft in the service of our own interests. If he had set out to willfully and deliberately expose our weaknesses to the world and undermine our strengths, he couldn't have done more to cripple America's power and influence in the world. Beneath the bluster, he's done more to weaken our national security than any president since World War II.

So how long will it take — after George Bush has left office — for our power and influence on the world stage to return to the level it was at in 2001? When I'm in a good mood, I figure five years. Realistically, ten years is probably more like it. And when I'm in a bad mood? Don't ask. It's really all very depressing.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:59 AM

Default Re: How much has Bush hurt America?

Bush has hurt us in the exact same proportion, and to the exact same degree that every other president over the past 100 years has hurt us.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL governaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-22-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So how long will it take — after George Bush has left office — for our power and influence on the world stage to return to the level it was at in 2001? When I'm in a good mood, I figure five years. Realistically, ten years is probably more like it. And when I'm in a bad mood? Don't ask. It's really all very depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you have it. The statist opponents of the incumbents aren't mad that Bush is engaging in imperialism, projecting military power, killing civilians, etc, they're mad that he's not as good it as they think they would be.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:10 PM

so you're suggesting there were no 'very good' and just 'good' presidents? then i guess you're not a voter either as anybody would hurt you in the exact proportion anyway.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bush has hurt us in the exact same proportion, and to the exact same degree that every other president over the past 100 years has hurt us.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-22-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you're suggesting there were no 'very good' and just 'good' presidents? then i guess you're not a voter either as anybody would hurt you in the exact proportion anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there weren't. That doesn't mean don't vote though, it just means don't vote Demopublican. :P
Old 10-22-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your just mad we don't want to play your "let's whine and complain about president x (in this case bush) game.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your just mad we don't want to play your "let's whine and complain about president x (in this case bush) game.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't blame you if you feel this way, but that's exactly what your post suggests. just wondering why you feel attacked if you believe in what you wrote.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can't blame you if you feel this way, but that's exactly what your post suggests. just wondering why you feel attacked if you believe in what you wrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think i feel attacked?