Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Have any ACists served on a jury?

I just got a notice for jury duty in the mail Friday. If I tell the judge that I don't agree with the system and will not vote anyone guilty will he let me off? Will I get put on a do not fly list?[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm wondering because I assume that a judge will think I'm just trying to get out of serving.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Have any ACists served on a jury?

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a notice for jury duty in the mail Friday. If I tell the judge that I don't agree with the system and will not vote anyone guilty will he let me off? Will I get put on a do not fly list?[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm wondering because I assume that a judge will think I'm just trying to get out of serving.

[/ QUOTE ]

First opportunity you see tell him you believe in jury nulification.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:34 AM

The judge will ask the pool of jury prospects if anyone would have any problem finding the defendant guilty if the prosecution proves its case. If you say you could not find this person guilty, you will be excused. The judge will probably ask you a bunch of questions, but I'm pretty sure your reason for excusal will not be recorded in any way.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First opportunity you see tell him you believe in jury nulification.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this term before but never took enough interest to research it. After reading the wiki page and a link from that page, I'm pretty shocked that no one can inform a jury of its right to nullify the law. Maybe I'll go ahead and serve. I don't feel obligated to answer the judge's question about strictly adhering to the law.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 AM

Make sure if you want to serve to put on a dumb loyal citizen act. Do you know what kind of conviction it's for? If it's drugs I would consider it a note of personal honor to sneak my way in there and get the guy off. Other things I'd probably be too apathetic to do it unless it concerned similarly totalitarian laws...maybe tax evasion would be fun but do those trials even have juries?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure if you want to serve to put on a dumb loyal citizen act. Do you know what kind of conviction it's for? If it's drugs I would consider it a note of personal honor to sneak my way in there and get the guy off. Other things I'd probably be too apathetic to do it unless it concerned similarly totalitarian laws...maybe tax evasion would be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons I don't want on is in case I get put on a trial for a violent/sex crime. No way would I vote not guilty for someone who obviously commited rape or some other crime along those lines.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:26 AM

Yeah that would blow. I would only do it if I could find out what the conviction is for beforehand.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Make sure if you want to serve to put on a dumb loyal citizen act. Do you know what kind of conviction it's for? If it's drugs I would consider it a note of personal honor to sneak my way in there and get the guy off. Other things I'd probably be too apathetic to do it unless it concerned similarly totalitarian laws...maybe tax evasion would be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons I don't want on is in case I get put on a trial for a violent/sex crime. No way would I vote not guilty for someone who obviously commited rape or some other crime along those lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would really be all you need to say. They may ask you if you are really positive and such, but if that is really what you believe (It's probaly a good idea to talk about your conscience) there's little they can do. A lot of times, people will back down when the judge asks them "are you absolutely sure...." a few times and they'll probaly give some reasons, etc. Don't be afraid of the judge getting pissed; just don't pull off any 2p2 style comments and it'll be fine. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 AM

I had to go last year. It was a civil case and I hated my job and would have gladly served more days, so I semi-lied when the lawyers in the selection room asked if I would "follow the law as the judge explains it to you" or whatever. I wanted to be on the jury just because it seemed interesting and again, to get out of work. The case was settled when we reported the next day, but at least I had the whole day off for it.

Here's what I would do now. If the case was about drugs or any other nanny-state [censored], I would lie about my beliefs and do whatever necessary to get on the jury. I would then try to convince the other jurors and/or hang the jury. It would be great if it were a marijuana case because there'd be a chance of getting people on board.

Any other type of case, when the lawyers or judge ask me if I will follow the law, in front of a room full of people, I will state that no, I do not believe in government and expand upon that if necessary.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:43 AM

heh, I just dodged jury duty last week. I moved from New Jersey to North Carolina, and Jersey decided to summon my judicial skills from nine hours away. A new driver's license took care of it, but the ensuing property/highway taxes associated with registering my car, as well as having to deal with the DMV, are quite annoying.