Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Building a bankroll in mtt tournaments

[ QUOTE ]
I cashed at about 50% of the tourneys I played

[/ QUOTE ]

%50 ITM on MTTs means you have a very good relationship with variance.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:56 AM

I don't have Pocker Tracker so this is just from the top of my head. I usually have time for one tourney every day, so I doesn't add up for that many tourneys. Some MTTs I play have a field of 200+, some have 50 or less. I mostly play freezeouts and at the lower stakes they're fairly easy.

I have had quite a run this month and I've exceeded my own expectations my a mile, just wondering how long I can keep this up.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:55 PM

I've been attempting to do essentially the same thing and have come to pretty much the same conclusions as the others. I started with a $200 deposit and played about 50 $5 SNG on 'stars. I did well for a while, cashing about 30% of the time (got up to ~$300, but the downswings kill that small of a roll. I'm pretty much back to even now and plan to spend most of the time multitabling 10NL. I think that's gotta be the best way to go to grind a small roll up.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 PM

If you can add money weekly than thats a fine idea. If all you have is 50 bucks lifetime savings than god no dont do it. If your trying to be proper with the lowest risk with 50 bucks than play the smallest stake sit n gos there is. The less people you play with the more likely your gonna be to not lose(common sense) If you want to play big feilds I know stars has 25 cent and 10 cent MTT you could partake in within your budget.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 PM

I've recently been doing this. I started with $200 on Stars and played exclusively the 27 and 45 man $5.50 SNGs. While I'm certain I ran hot, I was up to $1000 within a month. Once I got to $500 I started taking shots at the $11 27 and 45 man tourneys, and occasionally, after getting past $800 the $20 one, though they hardly ever run (and I managed to win the first one I played which helped.)

I genuinely believe the $5.50 27 and 45 man tourneys on stars to be the softest online and I certainly think they're a decent place to improve your game and build a BR.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:34 AM

By soft, what do you mean. Are they easier to beat than the $1.20 27 and 45 man?
The reason I ask is, I am in the same situation as the OP. I started with $50 went down to $10, then back up to $60 now back down to $20. I went a week doing nothing but winning, ITM 8 out of 10 times and took down 1st 4 times. Then the cards ran cold. 3 weeks passed before I could make 3 or 4 hands in 1 tourney.
The swings are terrible when you start out with a low budget.
One thing I did to ensure a foot up, so to speak. Sign up at you local library and check out all the books on holdem you can get. I started playing holdem a month and a half ago and have read @dozen books. It really gives you a sense of direction as far as strategy. Hanging around here and reading as much as possible is a good start too. Good Luck on your journey, it'll be a bumpy one.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:14 AM

just play the micro stakes MTT's... they are really easy and the fields are so large that winning gives you an incredible risk/reward ratio... I started my roll by selling play money and then I would take those smalls amounts of money and hit the micro MTTs. It took me a while but I got the hang of it and finaly won a $2.20 after final tabling it the weekend before. I also got 3rd at a $1.10, 2nd at the $0.50, and a couple other FTs along the way. I now almost have $1k in my account now. I think it's a good way to build up your account but it may take a while to get accustomed to navigating through 2000-3000 ppl just to make final table. Goodluck
Old 12-01-2007, 11:03 AM

On Poker Stars, the 2+.20 satellites to the Sunday Hundred Grand are very soft, and lots of players who have no idea how to play satellites. An easy way to win $T, just read up on how to play satellites.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am really new to all this. Thanks for all the advice everyone! Yeah I have really noticed how bad the variance is for the tournament play. I guess I will try to grind it out in the low limit cash games. OMG I feel like such a noob but what does 2NL mean? Thanks again everyone!

[/ QUOTE ]$2 NL is when the big blind is $0.02. When someone says X NL, X is 100 times the big blind, which is a standard amount to buy in. So $25NL has a $0.25 big blind, $600NL is a $6 big blind, etc.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well your situation is similar to mine when I made my last deposit about a month ago. I had $46, started playing $2-5$ MTTs (playing at a not-so-major site) and 10NL ring games. It took me about a week to get up to $100 and after that I played the $10 MTTs and 20NL. I cashed at about 50% of the tourneys I played, went to cash tables to grind when I was losing at the MTTs. I'm now up to $640. Although I'm not placing ITM at every tourney I play at, I have consistently improved my BR throughout November.

So yes, it is possible but it's pretty hard at first. The only thing I would recommend you doing is playing at stakes your comfortable with and w´here you can win. When you're a winning player try the next level, if you succeed there you can move up, if not just return to your previous level. At least that's what I've done.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just lucky, as well, you are the reason 10 dollar games remain soft.