Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Yet another hoops rules question

A kid drives the lane as the clock is winding down, he starts to jump with under a second left, and is hammered right as the buzzer sounds.

But in the split second after the buzzer sounds, and while he is still in the air and heading to the floor he flips up the ball, and it bounces around the rim and goes in.

The foul was CLEARLY with .01 or .02 on the clock, but the actual continuation was AFTER the buzzer sounded.

I am assuming he gets his two shots because he was in the act of shooting, but is it possible he gets the basket plus one free throw instead?

Can someone score with no time on the clock after being fouled?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Yet another hoops rules question

Not a ref and dont know the rules well but I'd be shocked if this was anything other than 2 shots.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not a ref and dont know the rules well but I'd be shocked if this was anything other than 2 shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, continuation only applies while in play, and the clock would stop (or be rewound should it be required) to the .1 sec when he was fouled.

Cody
Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 PM

An interesting thought is that you DO get credit for a shot that goes in after the buzzer, but you DON'T get continuation on your drive if in the air and you're fouled...
Old 01-17-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An interesting thought is that you DO get credit for a shot that goes in after the buzzer, but you DON'T get continuation on your drive if in the air and you're fouled...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that has to do with where the ball is. If it's in the air, the shot is good. However, if you are in the air with the ball and get fouled after the buzzer the order of actions go thusly:

Player Jumps>Buzzer sounds>Player hit after end of game

Cody
Old 01-17-2007, 11:11 PM

I don't understand the answers here.

If he is fouled with time on the clock, and if the clock would be reset to 0.1 or whatever, then how doesn't the shot count? How can the shot come after the buzzer if the clock theoretically stops on the foul? Am I missing something?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 PM

He would be fouled "in the act of shooting". You do not even have to get the shot off.

On the other hand, in hockey, the puck has to be completely over the goal line before time expires for the goal to count.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he is fouled with time on the clock, and if the clock would be reset to 0.1 or whatever, then how doesn't the shot count? How can the shot come after the buzzer if the clock theoretically stops on the foul? Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-17-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the player goes up for a shot (clock reads ~.5), is fouled (clock reads .1), and releases the ball (clock reads .0), the shot will count, as the clock stops on the foul.

If the player is fouled as the buzzer sounds, it's up to second by second replay to find out when it occured.

Edit: I might have been unclear in my previous posts. Moral of the story, time stops on the foul, normal continuation rules apply, clock is reset to moment of foul.

Cody
Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the player goes up for a shot (clock reads ~.5), is fouled (clock reads .1), and releases the ball (clock reads .0), the shot will count, as the clock stops on the foul.

If the player is fouled as the buzzer sounds, it's up to second by second replay to find out when it occured.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

But if he is fouled with 0.1 seconds left, the clock stops on the whistle - at 0.1, which means the shot was taken with time left. Didn't this happen to Shaq in the playoffs a couple years ago?