Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Kindle: Amazon\'s new wireless reading device

I too think that Epaper will completely replace books and periodicals.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i read the entire thread

multiple people mentioned iphones, computers, htc phones, etc etc

others talked about hard drives and battery life (long life is due to NO power being used when not 'turning a page' not due to hard drive size) and other such things

so i posted to clear some of that up

[/ QUOTE ]

those are clear advantages right now for this device. in the medium term, I don't think they will be.

after checking it out further, I do agree that this thing is cool now. but I'm just not expecting it to be an ipod type success b/c it's basic technology can put into other devices (unless for some reason an Iphone type device can't display epaper)
Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM

With a better design, something solid (aka I can throw it in my backpack/school bag and carry it around w/o fearing it'll break) and a reasonable price (~150?), I'd be a buyer.

As a student, I spend so much time commuting in buses, this would be a no-brainer. Also, I no longer subscribe to any newspapers because I just don't have time to sit for 30 minutes to go through it in the morning. Problem fixed if I can read it in the bus. I'd also love to get papers like "Le Monde" on this thing, when they cost way too much to ship (and get here late anyway) for me to buy them on paper. I also think this is much more convenient than getting news online.

As for the novels part, I think it's great to save $ by not having to have a physical copy (sucks to lose the paper "archive" though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ), and it makes it much more convenient to carry books around.

I'm excited (and have been for a while) about e-paper/ink tech, but this isn't quite prime yet (esp. price)
Old 11-20-2007, 08:38 PM

I love this thing and I really want to get one at some point down the road. Being able to access wikipedia from anywhere at any point will be a very powerful tool in life.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:39 AM

i have a feeling the more accessible wikipedia gets the more people will just turn into knowledgeable fools.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 AM

I don't like reading off a computer screen either, but then again, reading a paper or trying to read a book while eating is kind of a pain. I might snag one of these.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:09 AM

I dont think it has wireless but it seems like the sony reader is cheap and can display PDFs. Word docs can easily be converted into pdf or some of the other support formats too.

no wireless but a bit cheaper.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ital_Book.html
Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM

I'm thinking this might be worth it mainly just for newspapers alone. I'd like to read the paper during class, but it's very disruptive to turn/fold the huge pages.

Also, for books, I read lying down a lot of the time and, especially if I'm on my back, it seems like it'd be a lot easier to hold onto the Kindle than a regular book.

The magazine selection is very weak right now. If they had the Economist, I'd probably buy it, but I think I'll hold off for a while.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:26 PM

There is no way in hell I'm spending $10 on an e-book. I buy books so that in 60 years I will still have them and be able to read them whenever I want. I'm pretty sure my "e-book" on my Kindle isn't going to be around in 60 years. Furthermore, I would much rather have $400 worth of new books than this thing, and I could choose whatever books I wanted, instead of being limited to Amazon's (likely) terrible selection of only bestsellers and whatever other pulpy crap people read these days.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 PM

$400 seems really reasonable for what you get. Can't believe people think it's overpriced.