Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM

Default SB checkup

I play in a 1/3 structure game, where the small blind is only 1/3rd of a small bet. SSHE advocates playing "only those hands you would play on the button", which is basically what I do. Are there any places where I should deviate from this strategy? How do other people handle this?

This is brought on by me folding 66 in the sb to a raise from EP when it looked like the pot was only going to be 4 ways if I called. I folded quickly, but wanted to confirm it was "standard".
Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: SB checkup

I would have folded, in a regular game where sb is 1/2 the big blind it is close.

1sb to win 8sb is the odds we need (7-1). Of course we have implied odds with out hand to lean towards a call in a regualr structure.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 PM

I don't like calling any pocket pair lower than 88 in a raised pot from the SB unless there are 6+ players in the pot. You rarely hit the flop you want and when you do, it won't be perfect and you are OOP. Just my take.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 AM

i'm calling 66 from the sb even in a 1/3 structure. we're getting around 3.8-1 and i think we should still have the implied odds to call for flopping a set.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:10 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

I wouldn't sweat the 66, it's hard to without flopping a set and it's hard to flop a set.

Basically you should play somewhat boringly tight in the 1/3 SB.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:43 AM

Does anyone have an answer to the following question:

SSHE suggests to play any hand you'd play from the button. Are there any cases where you disagree with that advice?

James, do you cold call with 66 on the button with only 1 limper and one raiser? If you don't, then this is an example of when you don't follow SSHE's suggestion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have an answer to the following question:

SSHE suggests to play any hand you'd play from the button. Are there any cases where you disagree with that advice?

James, do you cold call with 66 on the button with only 1 limper and one raiser? If you don't, then this is an example of when you don't follow SSHE's suggestion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the raiser really. sometimes i 3bet. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

fwiw, i deviate from SSHE strategy frequently. some(alot)times it doesn't really apply to the games inwhich i play.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't sweat the 66, it's hard to without flopping a set and it's hard to flop a set.

Basically you should play somewhat boringly tight in the 1/3 SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the safe answer and i likely should have reinforced it.

to make calling profitable, you need to make up 12.5sbs postflop after you flop a set. doesn't seem to be an insurmountable task.