Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Battling Procrastination

Procrastination: I want to fight it!
I spend too much time goofing off reading and posting on forums. If it's not this one, its some other forum. If its not forums its video games. If those don't work, I'll watch t.v. or movies.

I am terrible at facing procrastination. I have to believe other forum junkies face this same problem. I always put things off to the last minute, and never seem to get things done unless a deadline forces me to do so. The problem is, alot of things that need to be done don't have deadlines, and to me its just not the same trying to create an imaginary one for myself. I constantly push off doing things that I should be doing; things that will have a positive effect on my life.

Do you guys have any tips or ideas for battling this procrastination?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Battling Procrastination

I've gotten this many times. The only thing that has ever worked for me is to get more goals or take the ones I have more seriously. Theorizing about why not wasting my time is good just leads to nothing for me. I'm kind of obsessive and function well under pressure and can feel scattered without it. The cure for a lot of my ills has always been to get obsessed about something positive.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 AM

I've started just unplugging my ethernet cable for, say, an hour at a time, every once in a while. I'm almost forced to start working (unless I want to get up and interact with humans or the outdoors, which is even worse).
Old 10-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Oh [censored] it. I'll just reply later.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh [censored] it. I'll just reply later.

[/ QUOTE ]

beat me to it [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 08:36 PM

lol
Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM

Procrastination is like masturbation, in the end you only end up screwing yourself!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've gotten this many times. The only thing that has ever worked for me is to get more goals or take the ones I have more seriously. Theorizing about why not wasting my time is good just leads to nothing for me. I'm kind of obsessive and function well under pressure and can feel scattered without it. The cure for a lot of my ills has always been to get obsessed about something positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do something similar to Blarg. I just give myself tons of things to do. If I have tons of things to do, I do more stuff (even if I only do a third of my goals). Like join lots of clubs, get movie passes, join book clubs, etc.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Theorizing about why not wasting my time is good just leads to nothing for me. I'm kind of obsessive and function well under pressure and can feel scattered without it. The cure for a lot of my ills has always been to get obsessed about something positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sort of the opposite. I don't function well under pressure and feel horribly scattered when I have pressure heaped on me.

Enigma I wish I could help but I can't. I've gotten really bad at procrastinating. I think I need a support group! Even accomplishing one goal a day would be awesome.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:25 AM

Three things that I find help:

(1) Try to get one little easy thing done. Sometimes the hardest part is starting the days work, once you do that, you will find yourself following up.

(2) At the end of the day, don't finish up, that is, don't stop at the natural break point. It's hard to start the day off by thinking, you want the first thing you do tomorrow to be the easy, natural progression of what you're doing today. For instance, if you are writing a document, you may want to leave off in mid-

(3) Talk to other people about your task. For some reason talking about something I'm working on always makes me want to work on it more.