Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Default How can i make money on poker

I am a regular poker player on pstars, but im not a winning player. I play MTTs and i have won thousands before frompoker, but just ended up losing it because of bad br management...

I wanna play MTTs, and i can usually get down to the top 30-40 of the field in a 180 man tourney. But for some reason can't cash big, or when i lose, i end up playing cash games and just losing it there (cash games that are outta my limits) any suggestions? p.s. i have a few hundred dollars to start with. what tourneys are the softest?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: How can i make money on poker

Play $4/180s (or preferably low-stakes SNGs), practice BR management, study and grow strong. The end...

or is it?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Also I would play a lot of satellites that pay out $10 and $50 in T$, then start taking shots at like the $3+R turbo sats to 162 and 215.

Also definitely start mixing in $12/180s ASAP, I'd say when your roll is ~$800
Old 10-22-2007, 05:02 PM

Read HOH 1 & 2 like 3 times each or until you know all of concepts/strategy. Read these forums as much as you can...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:21 PM

wardekar ... why u would mix in 12/180? i think they are quite some lottery meaning not much poker involved. maxbe you learn push bottin there but thats about it i think. better try 10/45 instead
Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wardekar ... why u would mix in 12/180? i think they are quite some lottery meaning not much poker involved. maxbe you learn push bottin there but thats about it i think. better try 10/45 instead

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the players are so awful at playing short-stack fast structures that you can get a decent ROI despite them being turbos plus you can play so god damn many of them your $$/hr will sky-rocket if you learn to multi-table these.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:31 PM

I used to have the same problem, my br management was horrible, so I decided no more deposists, that every time I lose my bankroll I would start from freerolls. And after that I started to keep track of my ROI and playing only buyins closest to the kelly criterion. I'm now up to large $24 buyin tournaments, its been 4 months since I got the starting money from a freeroll.

I recently posted the kelly criterion for different size tournaments & ROIs, here is a link to the thread.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=4#Post12583409

The only exception is that I still sometimes play $2 headsups to kill some time, when I dont have the time for a full tournament.