Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Weird Floor Decision at Wynn

[ QUOTE ]
It's an honest mistake on the other players part, you could have asked for a count before the call to make sure but you didn't, and if you had its not like the extra hundred would have made you fold would it ?

[/ QUOTE ]

He did ask for the count - he asked the player and was told "5 bills". Doesn't matter when in the hand he did it. That's all he owes.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the dealer should've asked to count when there was an all-in, and you probably should've made sure how many bills there were.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is specifically wrong. The dealer shouuld not touch/count or cause to be counted an all-in unless requested by a player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many players don't seem to understand this. The other day while dealing a tournament i managed to have the same problem at two consecutive tables.

First, Player in Seat 9 pushes all in and the remaining player in seat 2 is thinking about what to do. Player in Seat 10 reaches out and breaks down seat 9s stack. I imeediately ask him not to touch another players stack and he informs me that he did it because I wasn't doing my job. We growled at each other and he pretended like he was a VIP and was going to have me fired (I should be so lucky).

The next table a player in the pushes all in and another player asks him how much, the player immediately starts breaking down the stack to count it, but another player not in the hand decides to inform me that I should do it.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:02 AM

If he said 5 bills - you owe 5 bills
Old 06-24-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the dealer should've asked to count when there was an all-in, and you probably should've made sure how many bills there were.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is specifically wrong. The dealer shouuld not touch/count or cause to be counted an all-in unless requested by a player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many players don't seem to understand this. The other day while dealing a tournament i managed to have the same problem at two consecutive tables.

First, Player in Seat 9 pushes all in and the remaining player in seat 2 is thinking about what to do. Player in Seat 10 reaches out and breaks down seat 9s stack. I imeediately ask him not to touch another players stack and he informs me that he did it because I wasn't doing my job. We growled at each other and he pretended like he was a VIP and was going to have me fired (I should be so lucky).

The next table a player in the pushes all in and another player asks him how much, the player immediately starts breaking down the stack to count it, but another player not in the hand decides to inform me that I should do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sandman - Itr is getting funny how ignorant people are about poker.

You NEVER, EVER touch a player's all-in chips unless the deciding player asks for a count. Even then, if the aggressor wants to run his own chips down, he does it, not you.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:44 AM

I think you owe the full 600. Lots of ppl ask other ppl how much they have in a casual fashion. If you wanted a detailed count you should have asked the dealer.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:00 AM

This is an awful ruling. You 100% owe $600. It is your responsibility to know how much hes going allin for.

In a similar story, at bellagio someone had a $5k chip underneath a stack of 100s, another player asked how much he had and he did not declare the $5k chip, and when they got allin, the guy had to pay him for the $5k chip.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 AM

I think it's a little unfair to say that dealer cannot perform a count if requested (meaning that the player must do it if requested, and the dealer cannot interfere). Is that what is being implied here?

Table games staff use specific and consistent procedures to verify chips amounts (or, at least, they should). Players, as a rule, do not. I am therefore more likely to trust a dealer's count than a player's.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a little unfair to say that dealer cannot perform a count if requested (meaning that the player must do it if requested, and the dealer cannot interfere). Is that what is being implied here?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer can and will if the player won't, but generally if the player will run them down the dealer shoudl keep his hands off the chips.

[ QUOTE ]
I am therefore more likely to trust a dealer's count than a player's.

[/ QUOTE ]

At any given time there are a lot more players than dealers at the table, but I know of a lot more dealers that have been caught stealing chips out of the pot.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an awful ruling. You 100% owe $600. It is your responsibility to know how much hes going allin for.

[/ QUOTE ]

How should the OP ascertain how many bills are in his opponent's stack? He asked, and got a definitive answer, which turned out to be incorrect.

You say that it's the OP's responsibility to know how much the other player has. How do you suggest that he find out?

[ QUOTE ]
In a similar story, at bellagio someone had a $5k chip underneath a stack of 100s, another player asked how much he had and he did not declare the $5k chip, and when they got allin, the guy had to pay him for the $5k chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this indeed happened as you describe, it wouldn't be the first time a floorperson made a bad decision.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Table games staff use specific and consistent procedures to verify chips amounts (or, at least, they should). Players, as a rule, do not. I am therefore more likely to trust a dealer's count than a player's.

[/ QUOTE ]

No thats not whats being implied. In the first scenari had, the remaining player did not request a count. The player in the 10 seat decided that I was supposed to count down the chips even though the remaining player did not ask.

In the second instance, the player asked for a count, and the player whose chips they were immediately began breaking down the chips to give him the count -- There was no need for me to touch the chips. But aplayer not even in the hand took exception to my letting the player handle his own chips.