Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

[ QUOTE ]

How does venting your frustration about how you have been running show a lack of mathematical understanding?

Poker players wear jockstraps? So that's what I've been doing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? I know tons of people that grind out 1-3% a year in sports betting or blackjack that never once complain about their luck, because they've been doing it forever and know what their true odds are. These guys also haven't had the good fortune of many 6-7 figure cashes in MTTs.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice posts by Tex and Shannon

Re this

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are silly if you don't think I read and study the game. My comment in my blog was just saying I should probably do it 5-7 hours a day if I really, really wanted to be at the top of my game. I'm not playing the game at this point to grind out the highest possible hourly rate. I'll be content with knocking off a tournament every now and then for six figures and getting a little better along the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

The post I made early in the thread probably isn't being viewed by anyone as overly critical of Shannon, but just in case and to make a legitimate point separated from the idiotic jealously-based one-liners:

All I wanted to say is that working hard to improve is necessary to doing this job well, and that someone who isn't interested in putting in the work shouldn't be surprised if he feels like he isn't as good as he could be or doing as well as he could be. Shannon could easily be more successful than a nobody grinder (like me) working half as hard, but if he's feeling like quitting because he doesn't want to put in enough hours to stay at the top of his game, then he's probably better off doing something else and/or doing poker "halfway," as long as he's cool with not making the most $ possible with his talent.

In general, any people making judgments about the psychological affects of playing full time and the particular work/life balance issues that this job entails without having actually played poker full time should be very cautious with those judgments, because they probably don't know what they are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo!!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How does venting your frustration about how you have been running show a lack of mathematical understanding?

Poker players wear jockstraps? So that's what I've been doing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? I know tons of people that grind out 1-3% a year in sports betting or blackjack that never once complain about their luck, because they've been doing it forever and know what their true odds are. These guys also haven't had the good fortune of many 6-7 figure cashes in MTTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because they don't complain to you about it, doesn't mean they don't complain.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 PM

[beating a dead horse] anyways, all of the top poker players and gamblers I know track their results and have reached well into the long run. They may complain a little bit about huge beats deep in tournaments but are well grounded in their success and don't expect to win 7 figures every year.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow this thread got derailed. So I'm going to share one of my awesome SS stories:

Two years ago a bunch of 2+2ers I'm friends with, went to Turning Stone for a $1k and $5k tourny. While sweating the final table of the $1k we got incredible bored and ended up flipping coins. I ended up losing $12k to Jon Little and the next day when we were out to dinner I told Shannon that I was never gonna flip again because I was obviously upset about losing money doing something so silly. His immediate response was, "what if you got odds? I'll give you 525 to 500," and pulled out his coin. He obviously won the flip.

Anyways, GL with whatever you do Shannon. You're the [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were the days...

My SS story comes from that same trip, when he was describing differences between online and live poker, specifically limping in position with bad hands live when you have really good reads on the other players at the table.

SS: For example, at the Bellagio Cup I limped with Ten Five of Spades on the button after a couple limpers. The flop came 2 spades and a weak guy bet so I shoved over.

z32: You limped T5ss? That's such a bad hand.

SS (sheepishly): Someone called and I hit a flush, and I went on to win the tourney, so limping T5ss made me about $800k real equity...

Shannon rocks.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow this thread got derailed. So I'm going to share one of my awesome SS stories:

Two years ago a bunch of 2+2ers I'm friends with, went to Turning Stone for a $1k and $5k tourny. While sweating the final table of the $1k we got incredible bored and ended up flipping coins. I ended up losing $12k to Jon Little and the next day when we were out to dinner I told Shannon that I was never gonna flip again because I was obviously upset about losing money doing something so silly. His immediate response was, "what if you got odds? I'll give you 525 to 500," and pulled out his coin. He obviously won the flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you dont hate me.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:42 PM

this stupid game saved my life! its kind of funny. i grew up in a disfuntional house, basically raised in the streets. took on a life of crime and drugs. spending alot of time in jail between the ages 14 to 23, for drug sales, and other criminal activity.

i had played poker before, but diddnt get hooked till i played wsop on xbox live. soon after got myself a table, started a .25 .50 game, and my first year won 35,000. im in my third year, playin semi pro, and im the only guy still alive, out of a group of 7 that i was involved with.

just like everyone, i get bad beats and say that poker sucks, and have maybe even said that it was a stupid game, but in the end i always remind myself, that this stupid game saved my life. id do anything to get my friends back and teach them this stupid game called poker.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you dont hate me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you dont hate me.

[/ QUOTE ]

To take this thread another direction...

I remember chatting with u on FTP when u were complaining about how bad u run and linking ur blog.... i am still grinding out micro stakes and ur super-ballin... funny how times change..

I made a vow to myself to never be jealous of another person in this game, best of luck to you as well as Shannon.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this stupid game saved my life! its kind of funny. i grew up in a disfuntional house, basically raised in the streets. took on a life of crime and drugs. spending alot of time in jail between the ages 14 to 23, for drug sales, and other criminal activity.

i had played poker before, but diddnt get hooked till i played wsop on xbox live. soon after got myself a table, started a .25 .50 game, and my first year won 35,000. im in my third year, playin semi pro, and im the only guy still alive, out of a group of 7 that i was involved with.

just like everyone, i get bad beats and say that poker sucks, and have maybe even said that it was a stupid game, but in the end i always remind myself, that this stupid game saved my life. id do anything to get my friends back and teach them this stupid game called poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

lilholdem?