Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Small pair preflop

My question/concern is kind of general but here is an example:

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

In this case SB is 9/3/2.5 over 200+

I know that SSHE says never to fold a hand for one more bet pre-flop but I feel like I should tend towards folding in situations like this. I'd like to know what people think because this happens a lot.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Small pair preflop

no dude. you call because you are (many times) going to win a big huge pot those times you flop a set.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 PM

You have it all mixed up; you should be even MORE inclined (not less!) to call now. You have better current and implied odds for flopping your set after the pot gets raised and it's only one more bet for you to call. Before, you were only getting 3.5:1. Now you're getting 9:1.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 PM

Against the opponent you described, this is the clearest example of "set it or forget it" there could possibly be. And as Tyler said above, that's why you're calling the raise preflop--your immediate odds of flopping a set (or open-ended straight draw) plus the implied odds you'll get in the form of bets collected postflop are more than enough to justify the call. It's the same basic principle that you use when calling a raise in the big blind with suited connectors in a multi-way pot, or completing from the small blind with suited anything after several limpers: you know you don't have the best hand now, but since you'll be folding to a flop bet whenever you don't connect &amp; will be extracting many bets postflop when you, you call.

Incidentally, it is very rarely correct to fold to a single raise preflop after putting in one (or more) bets in limit hold'em.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Yeah thanks for clearing this up guys.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:40 AM

hmm...

not meaning to be a dick, but what books have you read so far?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Incidentally, it is very rarely correct to fold to a single raise preflop after putting in one (or more) bets in limit hold'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this over and over again. Can somebody provide me an example where it would be correct to fold to a single raise preflop after putting in one bet in limit hold'em? Misclicks and posting do not count!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:58 AM

Pocket pairs are an implied odds hand. Meaning if you hit it you can expect to collect additional bets from opponents on later streets. So although you may not have the odds to call right at the moment, implied odds will make that call correct. In this situation, the times you flop a set, you can expect to win more than your share of bets from people calling down with 2nd best hands.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can somebody provide me an example where it would be correct to fold to a single raise preflop after putting in one bet in limit hold'em? Misclicks and posting do not count!

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, I was wondering the same. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 01:21 AM

This might be an extreme example but if in this hand after SB raises BB UTG and CO all fold then it's only 5:1. Is that too unrealistic?