Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 11:16 PM

Default 77 in small blind.

I'm playing 4-8 in live card room. It's a pretty typical loose game with one maniac who likes to raise and 3 bet with things like K9s. i dont have much of a read on villain. i know he's fairly tight but that's it.

Im in small blind with 77.

Two folds. UTG+3 raises. UTG+4 cold calls. Folds. I call in small blind and big blind calls.

Flop comes 2d8sTs.

I check anticipating preflop raiser will bet. if the guy behind him folds i intend to check raise to drive out anyone drawing. big blind checks. preflop raiser bets. guy next to him folds. I check raise knocking the big blind out of the pot. better calls.

turn is J of clubs. I check. villain checks.

river is Q. i check, villain check.

how do you think this hand was played?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: 77 in small blind.

I think you played preflop well and the plan and play on the flop was good IMO.

Personally, I bet the turn here, and then look to check-call some rivers. Given your read, I think your pair is usually good here HU but vulnerable. I want him to pay to draw out on us.

edit - Oh, hang on, I thought villain was the maniac. Who is the maniac? Still, I think 77s look good at the turn. I think a bet-call is okay. Well, depends how tight he is PF I guess. Yeah, check-call with pair and gutter is another decent way to play the turn I suppose.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 PM

Who is the maniac?

If maniac ISN'T the BB, then I don't mind this, but you have to bet the turn. If called I'd probably then c/f any AKQ river, and c/c the rest.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 PM

i keep running over this some more. my check raise still gives the guy between me and bettor odds to call flush draw and open ended straight draw. he gets 11:2 which is better than 5:1. granted rake/jackpot drags that down to lower than 5:1. but i also figure it increases my chance of winning in that now my opponent is scared of me cause i check raised the flop and it gets me a cheap if not free showdown.

does this seem right?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:54 PM

maniac was the preflop cold caller behind villain. so he was out of hand after villain bet the flop.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:54 AM

What was your plan if your opponent had bet after you checked the turn? If your opponent had bet after you checked the river?

As played on the turn, I don't think that you can profitably bet the river.

I probably bet the turn, but if you bet the turn and get called, I can't see what hand you beat that would bet the river if you checked on the end and a bet on the end would essentially be an attempt to bluff against a hand like KT or A8.

If your opponent is a tight but very passive sort who won't bet a lost of better hands on the turn after you check, I can live with playing the hand this way.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:10 PM

bet the turn. Whether you b/f, c/c, or c/f the river seems to be the interesting question to me.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:31 PM

I like the plan you've made for yourself preflop. I like the flop C/R, but I probably fire the turn. If he's a normal B+M player, you can easily muck it to a raise here. As someone else has pointed out, the river is really interesting, because lots of options could be correct.

Given the action and the asstasticness of the river card, I would lean towards B/F or C/F (Probably C/F to be honest), although the pot is somewhat large and I could see a call, but what hands could the villian have that we beat? A9?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:22 PM

I'd c/f the river against almost most small stakes live opponents fwiw
Old 11-08-2007, 01:36 PM

I'm definitely firing this turn, and I think it's for value. I'm not sure what the river plan is. Given the actual river card it's a pretty easy fold if he bets.

I think if the river blanks we should probably fire again. I think we can squarely put villain on some sort of A high hand that missed (of course, that's if the river blanks). I'm really only concerned about 99, AJ and AT in this pot. A big portion of his range is whiffed broadways and suited aces. So I think that we can get a call but he will seldom bluff at the pot on the end.

If this is a rambling incoherent mess I apologize.