Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 11-04-2007, 12:33 PM

Default 2-7 KC lowball tips?

I've been invited to play in a 2-7 Kansas City Lowball tourney. After that ends we'll be playing it in a ring game and we'll probably keep it as part of our regular home game rotation.

I've played some triple draw but am by no means an expert or even an intermediate player. My best games are NLHE, PLO and Stud8. What tips do you have for playing KC in both a tourney and ring format? I should mention that these will be NL. Are there any articles you can recommend? I looked in the FAQ for this section and didn't find any articles/links specific to this game.

TIA

RS
Old 11-04-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: 2-7 KC lowball tips?

Super System is the only source of KC lowball information that I have ever found. Its not even covered in The Education Of A Poker Player by Herbert Yardley, its rare to find info.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Super System is the only source of KC lowball information that I have ever found. Its not even covered in The Education Of A Poker Player by Herbert Yardley, its rare to find info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. OK, does anyone here play it and would be willing to give some tips?
Old 11-04-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. OK, does anyone here play it and would be willing to give some tips?

[/ QUOTE ]

my tip is literally read SS. Everything you need to know is there combined with your knowledge of NL hold'em and Theory of Poker.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 PM

*sigh*

I miss the weekly GamesGrid KCL tournament.

IMO the SS1 chapter may be a bit too tight for tournament play and doesn't give a lot of specific advice. You will need to make adjustments for shorter stacks. Rougher 9's, draws to a 9, and pat T's become playable. It may also depend on what the ante size is.

How your opponents play matters a great deal. It is hard to get a hand you feel good about, so against some players you can profitably raise any five cards on the button. Other players will happily call a big raise and draw two. (They will either go broke quickly or put the entire table on tilt.)

Study up on your game theory for post-draw bluffing/bluff-catching. And remember the Gap Concept; you really have to have a quality hand to be the third person into a pot.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*sigh*

IMO the SS1 chapter may be a bit too tight for tournament play and doesn't give a lot of specific advice. You will need to make adjustments for shorter stacks. Rougher 9's, draws to a 9, and pat T's become playable. It may also depend on what the ante size is.

How your opponents play matters a great deal. It is hard to get a hand you feel good about, so against some players you can profitably raise any five cards on the button. Other players will happily call a big raise and draw two. (They will either go broke quickly or put the entire table on tilt.)

Study up on your game theory for post-draw bluffing/bluff-catching. And remember the Gap Concept; you really have to have a quality hand to be the third person into a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the people playing this tourney will have very little or no experience with 2-7 although quite a few are experienced O8 players so they may believe they can apply some of the same concepts. Would you recommend I play the early rounds very tight in early position but be willing to make big bluffs in late position? What about the optimal times to bet? Is the idea to keep the pot small before the draw? Also, when we get later in the tourney I'll need to open up my play. Are there any guidelines for trying to pick off small stacks in this game? Just push them preflop with pat J maybe? Or is that too tight even? I don't have the blind/ante structure yet and I expect we'll get about 24 players - so 8 per table.

Also, since it's a one draw game should I be on the lookout for people who draw 3 or more cards and pick them off with a bluff? I have a feeling I'm going to see quite a bit of 3+ draws at the event.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 PM

If there are a lot of people drawing 3, you don't need our help. Drawing 3 is really terrible. If for some reason you get caught drawing 3, just snow.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there are a lot of people drawing 3, you don't need our help. Drawing 3 is really terrible. If for some reason you get caught drawing 3, just snow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something tells me if I tried to snow in this game I'd still get called by a pat K. LOL. But we'll see. I need to get a feel for the competition first.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any site, play money or real money that has KCL? I'd love to have a OPG tourney.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 PM

OK, so I finally found my old copy of SS and read the lowball section. Wasn't much help and nothing at all about tourney play.