Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Anti-depressants

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity more than criticism, why is the thinking on this forum so unsophisticated when it comes to matters of science?

Presumably the OP was evaluated for symptoms of major depression and prescribed an antidepressant. In his mind the logical next step is to ask for lay-opinions about whether or not that class of medication is helpful? And then the question is seriously entertained? Some of the responses even reminding me of the "home remedy" thread from a few weeks back.

I just find it interesting that in a forum like BBV, where the average age is likely to be 19 and the majority of posters likely have little or no college education, there is a clearly decipherable underlying level of critical thinking and logic permeating through even the most recreational threads whereas in this forum, where the average age rates to be a decade older and the average level of education almost certainly includes at least some college, you are more likely to run across a comment about how grandma cures the hiccoughs than you are to stumble across a sound criticism of some flimsy thinking.

It's just quite striking to juxtapose erudite, professional-level film critiques with campfirey 20-questions exerpts oozing with superstition and inanity.

I imagine my description of this observation will piss everyone off, but I suppose that type of response would only bolster my suspicions.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

Your assumptions are all wrong.

Do you really think I would come to an internet forum looking for opinions on hard science?

I am just looking for some shared experiences. (And these have been very helpful).

I find your tone so condescending, not to mention pretentiously phrased. So wordy, ugh.

Amusing that you came in so hard and got it so wrong.

Has given me something to smile about though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]