Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is hotter?
SC 15 50.00%
Not baronzeus 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Which type of person is more annoying?

Inspired by the poison the well (rarr angry music) thread
Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Which type of person is more annoying?

Generally those that like pop stuff will just exclaim, "Oh man, I like this, turn it up," when the song comes on. Goth kids feel the need to constantly tell you how evil everyone else is.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Non-mainstream people who hang out at starbucks talking about how they are "individuals"
Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 PM

I used to live with a guy that, for example, LOVED Coldplay when parachutes first came out. Thought they were so original, creative, etc. Their 2nd CD came out, and they started getting pretty popular and mainstream. His love for them quickly turned into "Ehh... they aren't that good. I don't like them all that much."

This guy also used to get off on telling people "omg, I can't believe you haven't heard of such-and-such band".

Annoyed the piss outta me.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[

Generally those that like pop stuff will just exclaim, "Oh man, I like this, turn it up," when the song comes on. Goth kids feel the need to constantly tell you how evil everyone else is.

[/ QUOTE ]

great point. I guess on a case by case the anti popular person is more annoying, but I encounter more people who like something just cuz its popular, so if I could rid the world of one group Im not sure which one I would pick.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:52 PM

This is a tough question. They are both annoying.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 PM

Clearly the latter group sucks more. Especially these days, when even those people that used to be typically anti-anything-mainstream have "crossed over," per se, taking pride in the fact that they like Britney's "Toxic" or Justin Timberlake's Future/Sex album. So people that are still rigidly indie are awful.

I always found amusement in this quote by Pitchfork, in description of "My Love":

"Some people still get gassed that we like Justin Timberlake, as if there were some honor in denying good songs."
Old 05-02-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to live with a guy that, for example, LOVED Coldplay when parachutes first came out. Thought they were so original, creative, etc. Their 2nd CD came out, and they started getting pretty popular and mainstream. His love for them quickly turned into "Ehh... they aren't that good. I don't like them all that much."

This guy also used to get off on telling people "omg, I can't believe you haven't heard of such-and-such band".

Annoyed the piss outta me.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i hate those tossers
Old 05-02-2007, 08:05 PM

The latter. But neither are really that I annoying. I find people that are like "omg. everyone just likes/dislikes stuff because it's popular/not popular. That is a real original observation I have made. I just like what I like." are more annoying.

No sarcasm or hate to the OP intended. That is just the way I feel about it.

edit: My hate might come from the fact that I feel a little hit by the second definition. I like having my own little gems that everyone doesn't know about. It makes me feel a little special. I don't go telling people that I don't like this and that now that it is mainstreem, or that it sucks so much that this and that is mainstreem now. But sometimes I don't like something as much as I used to after everybody else starts liking it.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly the latter group sucks more. Especially these days, when even those people that used to be typically anti-anything-mainstream have "crossed over," per se, taking pride in the fact that they like Britney's "Toxic" or Justin Timberlake's Future/Sex album. So people that are still rigidly indie are awful.

I always found amusement in this quote by Pitchfork, in description of "My Love":

"Some people still get gassed that we like Justin Timberlake, as if there were some honor in denying good songs."

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure they get major hipster points for that.