Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 AM

Default Re: TPTK with resistance on the turn.....???

I just call him down. Valuebet if he checks.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a 33/22 over 152 hands. Should I fold with the lead out bet on the turn or call and act cautiously on the river?

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker
Hand History Converter

BTN: $5.25
SB: $26
BB: $26.15
Hero (UTG): $25.90
MP: $24.75
CO: $45.15

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, 2 folds, BTN calls $1, SB calls $0.90, BB folds

Flop: ($3.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $1.75</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.25</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $3.50

Turn: ($13.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $5.25</font>, Hero ??

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually just call flop here but him calling and leading weak agin is really suspect.. I min raise turn and watch out for timing tell.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 AM

We are either WA or WB here. He could do this with JT or a 9 just as easily as a worse Q. I think calling down is much better than any kind of min raise, raise etc.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:47 AM

You raise because you want to:

a) Protect your hand (make villains pay for draws)
b) Get value from worse hands
c) You don't have a hand but think the opponent will fold
d) Disguise a drawing hand

On a flop like this where you pair a high face card you're WA/WB, villain has 2-3 outs or has you crushed. Because of this, I think it's essential just to call the flop bet to keep worse hands (pairs, weak Q's) in the hand and give villain the chance to keep bluffing. The only draw on the flop is TJ but in my opinion you don't need to raise just to protect against it. Hence I'd just call the flop bet and call/bet the turn.

As played, this is a tough spot as villain will most likely shove on the river. Villain's bet is either a monster or a weak Q making a blocking bet. I call and fold to a big river bet, don't see him betting Q's on the river so his bet would either be air or the nuts.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:50 AM

As it turns out he did have J10, so my flop raise was very good imo. I called his turn bet and he checked to a rag on the river for some reason while I checked behind.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:08 AM

it's nice when they let you get to a cheap showdown
Old 11-05-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You raise because you want to:

a) Protect your hand (make villains pay for draws)
b) Get value from worse hands
c) You don't have a hand but think the opponent will fold
d) Disguise a drawing hand

On a flop like this where you pair a high face card you're WA/WB, villain has 2-3 outs or has you crushed. Because of this, I think it's essential just to call the flop bet to keep worse hands (pairs, weak Q's) in the hand and give villain the chance to keep bluffing. The only draw on the flop is TJ but in my opinion you don't need to raise just to protect against it. Hence I'd just call the flop bet and call/bet the turn.

As played, this is a tough spot as villain will most likely shove on the river. Villain's bet is either a monster or a weak Q making a blocking bet. I call and fold to a big river bet, don't see him betting Q's on the river so his bet would either be air or the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly against a hand like J10 you want to raise because it's a drawin hand. If you don't raise his donkbet he has the correct odds to keep drawin and you don't want that. Besides if you don't raise you give villain control of the hand and you won't know where you are in the hand.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As it turns out he did have J10, so my flop raise was very good imo. I called his turn bet and he checked to a rag on the river for some reason while I checked behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could've have A2 or 55. The point is that you're playing against his whole range, I still wouldn't raise the flop unless I had specific reads that villain called any bets very lightly.

EDIT: His bet was very small, I missed that. I stand corrected, in this case I'd probably raise the flop. If he bet 3/4ths or more I wouldn't.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 AM

Well played.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 AM

overall, you get more value out of worse hands by calling the flop on a board like that. he usually isn't going to have the one draw in play. much more often you'll see pp or Qx that has almost no chance of catching you.

edit: Qx, pp, or a bluff, that is.