Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Inducing a bluff

How often do you check here honestly?
And what is you're hand range if do?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:31 PM

situational play, u know the players, so it's ur decision.
just a thought, imo inducing a bluff works better when u didn't improve ur hand, check the turn in position and then call a river bet. after the turn, ur hand is much easier to induce a bluff on the turn (if he had an ace he'll raise u when u bet, and call u down w/ any pair anyways assuming he's the type of pay-off-wizard who would pay off ur river raise) raising the river there is too "tricky" of a play for limit, missing value on the turn and underestimate ur opponent (of course u r the only one that knows the opponent)'s folding ability. if u think he has an ace in that spot (assuming he'll call ur river raise), y not bet both turn and river in position instead of risking not getting called on the river raise?

oops this is replied to OP, new to forums
Old 11-19-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(Plan is for him to bet the river and I raise any card that isn't an 8, T, or J.)

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm rusty as hell but what does the J or T have to do with anything?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(Plan is for him to bet the river and I raise any card that isn't an 8, T, or J.)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ/AT
Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ/AT

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I thought of that and it made less sense when I first read the post and thought the SB folded and BB called. I've reread.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doing anything other than checking the turn and calling the river vs. an unknown in this spot is absurd IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is easily the worst possible line
Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 AM

Sometimes people try and get needlessly fancy. I think Bet-Bet line works well for this situation.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Commerce 40/80. Game is playing very very tight and it's not that great, but we're about to break (and unbeknownst to me I'm about to move to an awesome game for the last 2 hours of the night).

Folded to me in the CO, I open AQ. SB calls, BB folds.

Flop 855. Check, I bet, he calls.
Turn A. He checks, I check?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think he has anything, why raise the river? If you think he has a 5, why raise the river? If you think he has an ace, why not bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerBob--

If you don't think this is a persuasive argument, why post it? If you do think this is a persuasive argument, why not post in Beginners?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what argument you are referring to. (Maybe there is a post I missed by reading in flat mode or something?)

I merely asked a few questions that IMO one should be asking when they find themselves in this spot. PJ does not give any read on this guy, so I am assuming he is unknown. Doing anything other than checking the turn and calling the river vs. an unknown in this spot is absurd IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

PB--

Sorry if I misinterpreted you, but it seemed unlikely that was anything other than an implicit argument. Otherwise you're just asking, "hey, have you considered that maybe he caught a piece of the board?"

I think your line vs. an unknown doesn't get near enough money in the pot. I think that you should bet the turn, and if you get raised I'd three-bet a lot of guys live. Maybe not as a standard thing, but it should be considered. He can even be c/r'ing worse for value.

--Nate
Old 11-20-2007, 02:39 AM

Yeah I played with that wool cap guy earlier... he was leaving Commerce when I was checking out on Sunday at like 3:30... I started playing with him on Friday in the 20 before moving to the 40... assuming he was older and wore glasses as well.

I was on 137... the closest table to the night club up by the cashier. Game was out of this world!! Had a guy playing that dumps 4 dimes and had never played hold'em before. Watched him call 160 cold on turn with gut shot st8 draw with paired board--drawing dead. Best was when he called all the way with no draw at all with 6-4o trying to make a common pair!! He goes busto--and politely thanks the table for the good time and leaves!! Then on Saturday evening--guy comes in--Armenian I believe--waiting for the 1-2--first up, but gets impatient and has floor start a 2-4 list. While waiting, steams off 2 racks in about 45 minutes, rebuys another rack and steams off most of it before I quit in another 45 minutes. I beat him every pot--very much fun!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doing anything other than checking the turn and calling the river vs. an unknown in this spot is absurd IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is easily the worst possible line

[/ QUOTE ]

please explain.