Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Going to San Jose, Tell me what to do plz

bay 101 for poker. its on brokaw street right on the freeway. good food there.
best to go to palo alto around downtown for great food and messing around. 20 minutes away.
or take a ride to santa cruz 40 minures to the beach. amazing town there. also go see the monarch butterflies in the town park or go to thepark at the end of the north end of the beach where they have a nice boardwalk to see them. go up the coast some more to ana norazo or something like that park and see the elephant seals on the beach. you need reservations so call ahead.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 PM

Go to Testarossa for wine tasting in Los Gatos (about 15 minutes from SJ). Los Gatos is a very nice little town - have a lunch at a place called the Wine Cellar - very good food, excellent by the glass wine list, and very mellow. I like hanging out down there.

Downtown Palo Alto - University Ave (20 minutes north) is a really nice town, as Zee said. Lots of great restaurants there - I like Osteria (home-cooked Italian), Evvia's (Greek), La Strada (Northern Italian). There's several nice cafes to just hang out and and relax. On California Ave there is a great resaturant/bar called La Bodeguita Del Medio. Cuban joint - great rums (get the Zacapa 23 year), outstanding wine list, great beer on tap (Chimay!). You can have a cigar and relax (either inside or out). Restaurant there is a must-do as well.

There's some great Asian food of all kinds around SJ, of course, but specific likes would be needed.

I also agree with Zee's suggestions about Santa Cruz, et al. I also like going to Capitola (next to Santa Cruz) to sit on the beach and have cocktails at Zelda's. There's also some good food to be had on the pier at Santa Cruz (I forget the name of this Italian/seafood place, which is a shame because it's excellent).
Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wacki,

Stop being a post-tard and give us something useful. I lived there for 20-something years so I hope I can offer something useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got back online.

I'm going to be there for about 9 days for a wedding in a few weeks. I'm going with a girl I've been seeing for a while now. Given that she doesn't play poker *yet* there probably won't be much time for bay 101. I will make an appearance though. Haven't spent much time in CA so the options are pretty open. What other info do you need from me? I will say I appreciate your enthusiasm to help a lot! Thankyou.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think he's going with the "i'm a mod, so i can post this oot where it will get more traffic w/o fear of reprisal or banning."

[/ QUOTE ]

More like I've never even been to this forum. Most of the people I know read OOT, mid/high, NVG, etc so I tried to grab the attention of those people. I generally prefer to get advice from people I recognize and trust their judgment. Amazingly more than a few names I recognize have responded to this thread. Which is pretty cool. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2007, 08:02 PM

Ray Zee,

Thanks for the advice. Always an honor to see you replying to one of my threads.

J.A. sucker,

[ QUOTE ]
great beer on tap (Chimay!)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is golden. This is one of my favorite beers. Never seen it on tap before.

Duke,

[ QUOTE ]
Having spent 5 days up there for the first time in a while I can honestly say that just being there makes me want to start a company.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say this? Why not just move there?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
go up the coast some more to ana norazo or something like that park and see the elephant seals on the beach.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Aņo Nuevo
Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 PM

wacki,

What type of things are you into for recreation? When you normally visit a new city what type of things do you like to do? Favorite foods and price range? Anything you can possibly give us at all. For now, all we really have is a mid-September visit for a wedding with a girlfriend and that you haven't spent much time in CA. Not very specific.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:13 AM

TheMetetron ,

The woman loves food, sports, animals, and has a deep respect for nature. Her two favorite types of food are hole-in-the-wall restaurants and Asian. So far she has mentioned Yosemite, Napa Valley, food, and Sequoia National Park. Outside of poker her interests will probably be very similar to Ray Zees. She makes $80K a year + benefits in Indiana but maxes out retirement and doesn't like to spend a lot.

My interests? I'm up for almost anything. If I'm trying something new I'll be happy.

Thanks for the help Metetron.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 PM

Do you both live in Indiana currently? Let me know where you are staying (the general area) when you find out and I'll recommend some good hole-in-the-wall Mexican places that are incredibly delicious. You just don't get Mexican food like that outside of California.

There are also a ton of good asian restaurants in the area as there is obviously a huge asian population. I'm busy at the moment but when I get a free moment today or tomorrow I'll get the details of some good ones.

You are going to rent a car I take it?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 PM

The Metetron,

Yes we are both in Indiana. We are staying either in Cupertino or Milpitas area (to be determined). We will have a car and be driving to the Napa valley wineries. Everything else is up in the air.

Thanks for the help.