Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 PM

Default A weird hand with a maniac

I basically have played no poker all month. But I decided to play a bit tonight and ended up on some weird tables and in some weird spots. I'll try to post a few interesting hands from tonight. Here's one (I think).

BB is literally playing at 71/41. He had a 3k stack when I sat down and now he's in the process of donking it off. CO is PoorUser. I figured A8h is too good a hand to fold at this table where everyone is deep and there is a maniac just waiting to give me money. But if I raise, the maniac will probably squeeze and then it's just going to be ugly. So I limp planning to LRR the maniac, basically. Unless a call looks better in the moment. But then PoorUser raises, and the maniac just calls. So I decide to LRR anyways since PoorUser can obviously just be isolating my limp and he'll respect a LRR especially with the maniac acting behind him. OK, plan goes well. Until maniac calls. Now what?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
TWP: $1923.50
CO: $2339.25
Button: $779
SB: $2414
BB: $2046.35

Pre-flop: (5 players) TWP is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
TWP calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $50</font>, 2 folds, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">TWP raises to $250</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($555, 2 players)
BB checks, TWP...?

Comments on all decisions appreciated.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: A weird hand with a maniac

I am biased when it comes to suited Aces. I like them very much since they make nut flushes. Two things need to be understood though when playing them. 1)You need to recognize what a good flop for your hand is (given relative position and recent play by both you and opponent/s) 2)You need to be able to manipulate the pot to your liking.

#1 should be self explanatory. Vs. some, TP is good while vs. another you are playing for 2pair+. Obviously the more players in the hand (which is ideal) the harder you need to flop. I realize this isn't much different then how all hands are played but I feel suited Aces need that extra special attention since it may be easier to lose bigger pots if you play them wrong (thus the averseness of playing them to begin with). #2 is sort of a feed off that in respect to you dictating the pot size. Position is always good in any hand but with I feel less so with suited aces. The reason is because you have to be very conscious of your flop play. Thus if you are continuing after the flop, most likely you flopped strong enough to be in control of how big or small the pot becomes so you have more weapons to use comfortably when OOP.

This absolute ramble is an attempt to preclude those who say just fold PF. In my opinion people are too quick to release a hand like this when OOP.

As for the hand, I don't like opening the betting again where you are on a total bluff and will have to fold to a 4bet. I want to see a flop with this hand. Especially 3 way with some money in the middle. So no likey the flop play. Just call.

Most of the weight for the top of monkeys ranges with this PF line is typically mid PP's. So if he didn't hit this flop, he didn't miss it either. I also see no truly good turn card that will make you feel remotely comfortable. I realize that last statement is an endorsement to bet/shut down but too often you need to fire 2 barrels minimum and often 3 to get the desired fold so the investment on a bluff here seems too high.

I fold to any turn bet except a clean heart (no 2h or 9h) and even then it needs to be a 2/3PSB or so to call. Anything larger and I fold.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM

so your line is to limp/call UTG against a TAG preflop raiser and then to c/f the flop? how can that line possibly be good...
Old 08-17-2007, 08:05 AM

With what hands did he go to showdown alot? What does he calls flops with etc?

But I c-bet the flop like always, like 400-ish.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:07 AM

I hadnt been at the table long, but he was like 70/40/1.5AF/40WTSD%. So pretty much just an insane maniac calling station like in the good old days.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 AM

twp, u dont c/f the flops u dont whiff. u should really do something about ur win-every-pot-syndrome.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:12 AM

dear god what does a lrr accomplish vs that guy? did u honestly think he would fold?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:19 AM

Value?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dear god what does a lrr accomplish vs that guy? did u honestly think he would fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont he LRR to make him fold.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:25 AM

are u guys joking or not? i cant really tell.