Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: My friend drives drunk

I doubt the recidivism rate is as high as the rate for people who constantly drunk drive and get away with it.

FWIW, I personally know several people who have been "scared straight" by a DUI or minor accident while under the influence.

I understand the point you're trying to make, tuq, I just disagree with your logic.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 PM

You remember that game "Simon" where you have to hit one of four colored pads that sounds a tone, and each pad has a separate tone? Then the game adds one more tone/light combo, and another, and pretty soon it gets really hard?

Don't know how persuasive anything like this would be, but it would definitely make clear how effed up you are. That game is pretty hard to do sober. There's gotta be an online version, too.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Keister his keys.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:15 PM

How often does this happen? Why not convince him to cab it home from the bars?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:21 PM

mia,

I may not have explained it perfectly, but IMO getting the guy busted is far from the optimal solution. There is no easy solution to this, I just think that's far from the best one.

And it's been repeated now, wacki, how often is this a problem and how clearly is he inebriated? I know and get annoyed by the teetotalers in our circle who wig out when anyone has a few drinks and attempts to take to the road. Christ I'm a professional drinker who is also a big guy. I could probably drink 3-4X as much as the average lean chick before I become a liability.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Maybe he is suicidal.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 PM

the real question: why is this guy your friend?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt the recidivism rate is as high as the rate for people who constantly drunk drive and get away with it.

FWIW, I personally know several people who have been "scared straight" by a DUI or minor accident while under the influence.

I understand the point you're trying to make, tuq, I just disagree with your logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure I read somewhere that recidivism rates due to stricter DUI penalties (i.e. 1 year license suspension) has dropped for those actually arrested, so what you're saying makes sense Mia... but I bet there are still a ton of arrested, repeat offenders so I think tuq's point stands.

Also, if you drink alot, not particularly hard to blow a .08 BAC. For most that doesn't qualify as drunk driving I guess but it is the law currently in place.

-Al
Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 PM

Waki,

We need more info.

How old is he?
Where does he usually drink? (bars? parties? in the city? in the suburbs?)
When does he usually drink? (every night? once a weekend?)
Who does he usually drink with?
Do you two live close?
How drunk is he driving? (a couple beers or [censored] canned?)
How far is he driving?

If you are with him when he drinks at a bar then there is no excuse. Find a designated driver or take a cab. Do you go out with a big group of people? Are you normally driving drunk yourself but not as drunk as him? Does the bar you go to have a DD program?

If he drinks at someones home then you should find a way to carpool with someone who won't be drinking or just take his keys when he is drinking.

You are likely to run into trouble from him if everyone is drinking at a BBQ or something and then everyone leaves but you demand his keys. He will see this as you giving him a hard time.

Calling the cops on your friend is stupid. To the person who asked "why is he your friend?" comeon, lets not be idiots here.

I have more suggestions but need more info first.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 PM

four years ago, three kids my age were killed in a drunk driving incident. everyone was devastated. a month later, everyone was back to driving drunk.

two years ago my the older brother of my brother's friend died drunk driving. six months later his little brother got arrested when he got drunk and hit a telephone pole in his car.

some people are stupid. hopefully he hits a tree and not a family.