Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: My friend drives drunk

He will be LUCKY if all he gets is a DUI. It is inevitable that he will either hurt someone, himself, property, or go to jail.

I used to have a friend that would constantly drink and drive, so whenever he came over to party I would take his keys and throw them on the roof.

I used to be the "A driver" constantly until I got busted one night and I haven't drank and drove since, DUI's suck. It cost me 2 potential jobs after graduating and insurance blows and you have to put it on applications. The only good things that came from it, is that I never killed anyone and I don't do it anymore.

There have been plenty of times after my DUI where I knew that I could drive and be all right but knew if something were to happen I would be over the legal limit (It doesn't take a lot to be over the legal limit when you weigh a buck twenty) Not enough people take into consideration the other bad drivers on the road that can cause a wreck.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would convince him to stop would be calling the police on him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There have been plenty of times after my DUI where I knew that I could drive and be all right but knew if something were to happen I would be over the legal limit (It doesn't take a lot to be over the legal limit when you weigh a buck twenty) Not enough people take into consideration the other bad drivers on the road that can cause a wreck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outstanding point, and should be a standard part of the discussion anytime this issue comes up from now on.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:32 AM

wacki,
I would just try and make sure that he doesn't get behind the wheal while he's "drunk". This doesn't mean .08, but in fact the times where he's drank an entire case, as at this point it's actually going to change how he drives.

If he wants to drive after a 6 pack at .1, just let him as he's a big boy and can deal with the legal issues himself if they ever come up.

This way you're keeping him off the road when he's actually a danger to people, and he's likely to take your advice to not drive when he's actually drunk because it's not like you're constantly hassling him about it.

I guess I don't have any real advice on special ways to keep him from driving. This would depend a lot on how stubborn he is, and how easy it would be for me to physically restrain him. Obviously if there's cabs in the are this helps out a lot too.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:44 AM

Good lord some people are preachy. Everyone gets it, drunk driving is bad and people die.

Yeah, you have a responsibility to try to stop him when you know he's tanked up and looking to drive. But calling the cops on a friend in this situation is dumb. And did someone really suggest breaking into his car and installing a breath testing device? Wow, just wow.

He's a friend. Don't get on his case and do the whole moral preaching crap. That's insulting, and will absolutely not help. Focusing on the consequences of getting arrested for DUI is a much better play, as he obviously doesn't put a lot of stock int he risk of killing someone. That's because it's a very small risk, and must be insignificant to him.

Just nag him about it and be more aggressive about him cabbing it or letting someone else drive him home from the bar. But if he still chooses to drive, so be it. He's obviously a decent driver, or isn't impaired to the level that you might expect after comparable drinking. He might get in an accident and kill someone, and it might happen when he's above or below the limit. Don't waste as much time worrying. You can do what you can do, but don't stress beyond that.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Have your friend rent season 1 of 'Oz'.

[ QUOTE ]
#97B412 Tobias Beecher. Convicted July 5, 1997. Driving while intoxicated, vehicular manslaughter. Sentence: 15 years, up for parole in 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Schillinger burns a swastika on Beecher's ass.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2007, 11:59 AM

WTF is wrong with driving drunk.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If his driving ability is honestly not impaired then shut up and let him be. So long as his driving ability isn't impaired he's not going to hurt anyone and I wouldn't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If his reaction time is not impaired, I'm sure there a bunch of scientists eager to find out why he is the only known human to only get the positive effects of alcohol.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have your friend rent season 1 of 'Oz'.

[ QUOTE ]
#97B412 Tobias Beecher. Convicted July 5, 1997. Driving while intoxicated, vehicular manslaughter. Sentence: 15 years, up for parole in 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Schillinger burns a swastika on Beecher's ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn you. I got to the end of this thread and was about to make almost the exact same post and you beat me to it.

I agree with the general consensus that calling the cops is a pretty dbag thing to do and the best option is to just do all that you can to get his keys if hes too tanked to drive. Only way I consider calling the cops is if he is extremely obviously impaired and manages to force his way into his car and starts driving.

Everyone (pretty much) drives over the legal limit or tanked a few times, but people who do it regularly need to be stopped. Its not about their safety at that point, its about everyone elses.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the general consensus that calling the cops is a pretty dbag thing to do

[/ QUOTE ]

But considering how huge a dbag the friend is for driving drunk all the time, it's completely justified.