Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: WOW WOW OMG WTF BBQ new Coen brothers movie trailer

Saw it last night. It exceeded my high expectations. I am a huge Cormac McCarthy fan so I'm not sure how non fans will react to the movie. This is one case where the movie might actually be better than the book. The Coen brothers did a fantastic job of bringing this book to the big screen.

SPOILER ALERT !!!!!!!!

<font color="white"> The one nit that non-fans of McCarthy's books might not understand is why Llewelyn went back to the crime scene to bring the drug runner a jug of water. The thing about McCarthy's characters is that they follow a very strict moral code. So for example, if you say you are going to do something, you do it no matter what. Or if you come across a near dead man in the desert, you do what you can to help him. So while this part of the movie might not seem congruent, it makes total sense in the context how McCarthy's stories. This adherence to a code of conduct also explains why Chigurh made sure to kill Carla Jean.</font>
Old 11-10-2007, 08:25 PM

i saw it on friday and thought it was very good. to be honest, i probably would have enjoyed it better if i wasn't such a big mccarthy fan. i couldn't help but compare the book to the movie, and this detracted from the movie experience. both were very enjoyable. the coens changed a few minor points. for example, <font color="white"> the car crash at the end is slightly different from the book (in the book chigurh throws himself to the passenger side of his vehicle before getting t-boned on the drivers side, in the movie he gets t-boned on the passenger side).</font>

other than small things like that, the only other major changes were things they had to omit because they would have messed up the pacing of the movie (many people will argue that the book has some pacing issues as well which the movie avoids)

and, there is a mild spoilier here, <font color="white"> the movie didn't highlight the parallels between moss and the sheriff's characters as much as the book did. the sheriff's (i'm blanking on his name for some reason, his first name is ed tom i believe) story at the end of the book (which is omitted from the movie) shows how he couldn't do what moss did at the beginning of the movie (bringing the water back for the wounded mexican) which got him into this whole mess to begin with.</font>

edit - to put my semi spoiler in white. sorry guys.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:50 PM

Saw this Friday, very good. I'm sure Anton will be one of the more memorable movie villains.

The theater I was in had some sort of false fire alarm right during one of the most tense scenes. I woulda gone crazy if it was a real evacuation and I wasn't able to finish watching, especially since I'd driven an hour to catch it at the only theater it's playing at in the bay area.

At any rate, I didn't read the book and 'The Road' is the only McCarthy book I've read. This guy writes some depressing stuff (assuming the movie followed the book closely). I liked the ending much better, I thought 'The Road's' ending was way too contrived.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saw this Friday, very good. I'm sure Anton will be one of the more memorable movie villains.

The theater I was in had some sort of false fire alarm right during one of the most tense scenes. I woulda gone crazy if it was a real evacuation and I wasn't able to finish watching, especially since I'd driven an hour to catch it at the only theater it's playing at in the bay area.

At any rate, I didn't read the book and 'The Road' is the only McCarthy book I've read. This guy writes some depressing stuff (assuming the movie followed the book closely). I liked the ending much better, I thought 'The Road's' ending was way too contrived.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Road is one of McCarthy's least memorable books. It is fluff compared to his other stuff. Definately check out the border trilogy and Blood Meridian.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The Road is one of McCarthy's least memorable books. It is fluff compared to his other stuff. Definately check out the border trilogy and Blood Meridian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:46 AM

just saw it tonight. one of the best movies i've ever seen. i thought the first 75% of it was perfect. it trailed off a bit for the last 1/2hr to 45minutes of it but up until <font color="white"> lewellen dies, i was on the edge of my seat loving every second of it </font>. i recommend it to everyone
Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure Anton will be one of the more memorable movie villains.

[/ QUOTE ]
he was maybe my favorite character in any movie. the ultimate badass
Old 11-12-2007, 01:55 PM

I tried to see this goddam movie twice this weekend; sold out both times. HYACHAHCHACHAHCA now I have to find time after work this week to check it out.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to see this goddam movie twice this weekend; sold out both times. HYACHAHCHACHAHCA now I have to find time after work this week to check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fandango FTW dumbass.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM

That's how I found out it was sold out, dumbass.