Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: WOW WOW OMG WTF BBQ new Coen brothers movie trailer

i haven't seen a coen bros movie i didn't like
Old 11-07-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, No Country for Old Men is orders of magnitude less complex than Blood Meridian. Making the latter would be possible (if they can cast the Judge), but it would be very tough and probably wouldn't be a big box office success.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's far more possible than adaptations like Fear and Loathing. It would require the perfect storm (the right writer, director and casting) but I can see it happening if treated with utmost respect. In fact, I think the Coen Brothers would be the perfect choice for direction (maybe Cronenberg)
Old 11-07-2007, 11:20 AM

Not sure about Cronenberg - this would be very,very different than anything he has done. I think Malick would be good in theory, although New World was unbearably bad, so he may have lost it. Even Tommy Lee Jones might work - I though The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada was very good and seemed to be somewhat inspired by Blood Meridian.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure about Cronenberg - this would be very,very different than anything he has done. I think Malick would be good in theory, although New World was unbearably bad, so he may have lost it. Even Tommy Lee Jones might work - I though The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada was very good and seemed to be somewhat inspired by Blood Meridian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Malick would probably turn it into an idealized wild west American/Native American love story [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. If only there was another Kubrick out there (I.E., a Dark Malick), Blood Meridian could be safe.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

NT -- I know it won't change your mind about IC, but here's a review I wrote that at least justifies why I think it is such a great movie (and I've seen it 4 times now):

[ QUOTE ]
If it had just been the funniest movie

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stopped reading here, probably because you've made it clear that you don't know "funny" from a hole in the wall. What you've done is akin to ranking Greg Ostertag ahead of Michael Jordan, then asking someone to read your NBA blog.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stopped reading here, probably because you've made it clear that you don't know "funny" from a hole in the wall. What you've done is akin to ranking Greg Ostertag ahead of Michael Jordan, then asking someone to read your NBA blog.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how's life inside your objectivist prison of self-hatred? Does it get lonely without logic, perspective, and class?

It's ok. Go ahead and stick to your 300 and BAD BOYS II and HALF BAKED and whatever else it is you find hilarious, and I'll enjoy the fresh air of subjectivity and reason with my Greg Ostertags of the cinema.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:20 PM

I'm looking forward to this film, but does every other movie have to have a guy walking away from a giant explosion looking like he's too cool to care about it? It's such a cliche.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So how's life inside your objectivist prison of self-hatred? Does it get lonely without logic, perspective, and class?

It's ok. Go ahead and stick to your 300 and BAD BOYS II and HALF BAKED and whatever else it is you find hilarious, and I'll enjoy the fresh air of subjectivity and reason with my Greg Ostertags of the cinema.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see the 300 (heard it was terrible). Didn't see Bad Boys II (Bad Boys I was pretty weak, and I hate Martin Lawrence). Half Baked was pretty stupid as well.

Seriously, it's one thing to not love the Big Lebowski and put it in the top 10 comedies of all time. But to not rank it even in the top 10 Coen brothers of all time and to make a serious case for the Ladykillers being a better movie, that goes beyond ridiculous. It doesn't make you cool and intellectual, it just makes you lame and pretentious.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't make you cool and intellectual, it just makes you lame and pretentious.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it just means I'm being honest. You implying there's some obvious objective truth to the awfulness of Ladykillers and awesomeness of Big Lebowski is what's lame and pretentious.

Wait, what am I even doing arguing movies with an accountant?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM

Saw this couple night ago at a screening and I still can't get it out of my head. Not so much the story but just how well scenes were constructed, the specific shots used...the performances...it was [censored] amazing.

Best movie of the year(waiting on There Will Be Blood).

It is also very similar to Dead Calm in that almost all the sound effects are incredibly subtle...sound of shugar unscrewing a light bulb etc. I'm not sure if there was any music throughout the entire film.

Bardem gives the performance of a lifetime and Brolin is fantastic--perfectly cast too.

This is the kind of flick like Apoc N and other movies that made me want to be a writer/director. Coen Brothers are just so [censored] talented its sick.

I just wish their cat and mouse game could have kept going and going and going.

Its [censored] awesome awesome awesome.