Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Things that annoy you about live poker.

Summary of previous 2 pages: all players that are not me
Old 11-10-2007, 10:23 PM

At a loose table being asked why i haven't played any hands yet
I haven't gotten anything worth playing and am not willing to spew chips like the rest of you
I never know what to say when i get comments like :" you haven't played a hand yet only your blinds"
I remember getting mad and saying once: "it's my money isn't it"
Old 11-10-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Acting out of turn, talking about the board, peeling off chips one at a time without announcing action.

Those are the three biggies, really. Well, and dealer-abusers, but that's most of 'em out here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

last night this guy, who had like 12 beers and was finally cut off, acted out of turn about 8 times in a row.

the dealer told him several times, but he was ridiculously drunk and just not listening. Do you just call the floor eventually in this type of situation?

I don't want to be a dick and be the one to get him kicked out (bc he plays at my tables often and knows who I am), but its beyond ridiculous
Old 11-11-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people who wait till action is on them to look at their cards preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, what?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to be honest though i try to act annoying and like an idiot most of the time, nothing is more hilarious to me than the "regulars" being tilted by losing pots to "the idiot"

[/ QUOTE ]
One of my favorites is when you suck out on the river and fake cheer while saying "KNEW HE WAS BLUFFING".
Old 11-11-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Acting out of turn, talking about the board, peeling off chips one at a time without announcing action.

Those are the three biggies, really. Well, and dealer-abusers, but that's most of 'em out here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

last night this guy, who had like 12 beers and was finally cut off, acted out of turn about 8 times in a row.

the dealer told him several times, but he was ridiculously drunk and just not listening. Do you just call the floor eventually in this type of situation?

I don't want to be a dick and be the one to get him kicked out (bc he plays at my tables often and knows who I am), but its beyond ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who is "ridiculously drunk" is welcome and my table anytime.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when they fking try to have stupid conversations with you, telling you what they folded the previous hand, what they woulda flopped or rivered and other retarded sh*t

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I hate that [censored].

First they give you that look and then whisper "7-2, I folded 7-2" while shaking their head and then you say "well, what are you gonna do?" and then they say "yeah, I mean, how can I play that, right?" and then you say "yeah, you can't play that", and then they turn to the person on the other side and whisper "I folded 7-2"................

.....and, because they think that they've now bonded with you in some way, take the liberty of talking about every single hand that gets played for the rest of the tournament.

Did I mention the bad breath?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol true
Old 11-11-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
for about 30 hands in a row, the guy to my right kept pretending he had certain hands based on flops and exclaiming them proudly every time.

i.e. flop comes 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and he says, "guess i shouldnt have folded 98 of diamonds!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi. Nice to meet you online. I am that guy. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't get it either.

FWIW, I cut that crap when in the box. "One player to a hand." "Let the players play their own hands, please." "Don't talk about the board." If that finally doesn't get the point across, I get very pointed and direct.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT deserves both a gold star for the best comment/strategy post (super strategy hidden as a throw away line catagory)of the month but also a demerit for exposing a tremendous psychological advantage you can gain when playing live.

Since today seems to be the AA meeeting of 2+2 then "Hi my name is Michael and I also look for every edge I can get when playing my opponents".

Since no one seems to understand what TT, in his sly and understated manner, said is that when you are playing live there are many opportunities that present themselves where you can influence your opponents perception of you. Poker is a game of deception and misdirection. On line you are playing in a sensory deprevation tank but live you can pick up so much information about your opponent by just observing them. I am not just talking about tells (ie. how does he hold his cards when he has the nuts or how does he push his chips into the pot) but when you speak with people they are usually (but unintentionally) happy to disclose a lot of information about how they play.

In the above example if I tell another player that I folded the 9d8d because "how could you play that hand" then (if he is aware) he will assume that on a flop of T76 his JJ will always be the nuts and will happily stack off to my 98 since I couldn't possibly play a 98. Also he is happy to lay down QQ when I brought it in for a raise and bet out on any flop with an Ace in it, since he will believe that I am a very tight player who only plays/bets with top hands.

Someday people will realize that poker is not just game of holding the best cards but is a game of mind, spirit and mental sleight of hand. There are many opportunities to provide your opponents with false information about how you play. A good player needs to take advantage of every opportunity to mold his opponents opinion of him into soemthing that is very different then reality.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:37 AM

There is nothing worse than at break in a tourney, washing your hands in the restroom, and watching several players from your table walk away from the urinal or stall and walk right out the door after relieving themselves. I have almost gotten into a fight before, cause I will announce to the table that certain players did not wash their hands after touching their willy's, so you dont want their chips. But you know what, I'll continue to call players out when I see that. I read that people not washing their hands is the #1 form of cold/flu, and virus spreading. Why should I have to chance taking home an illness to my family?

I dont eat at the table, and I don't touch my face either, I wash my hands every chance I get, I think I am becoming one of those freaks with an excessive complusive disorder thanks to dirty filthy poker players. They should steralize the chips each night. There, Im all better now, thanks for letting me rant.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... I have almost gotten into a fight before, cause I will announce to the table that certain players did not wash their hands after touching their willy's, so you dont want their chips. But you know what, I'll continue to call players out when I see that.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG, cooties! Buy some friggen Purell and you won't get into fights for shooting your mouth off.

You do put gloves on before you touch the door handle to exit the restroom, right? If you are so paranoid about germs, don't leave your house. Or put on your germ-free bubble to play live.