Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Re: First 7k hands of 6-max

[ QUOTE ]
The best of the best know that it's optimal strategy to meander through three levels over 3K hands of play...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a good idea to look through stats when playing a new game, especially when running bad. While his loss is meaningless over such a small sample size, his VP$IP, PFR%, and blind steal numbers aren't. These are way suboptimal for shorthanded play. No need to play 100,000 hands to figure that out.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
won at showdown is 55% vs 45% in week 2, could this be it, variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but it also looks like people are picking up on his tendency to fold and are taking shots. His PRF% is down, as is his blind steal %. Almost like he's being c/r off every time the flop is ragged, causing more timid and passive play. Sure do wish we had his aggression numbers. I bet they're all below 2.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:44 AM

what software are you using?

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
7k hands is nothing

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I know, it's just that I was alarmed at the 250BB downswing after 2 weeks of light play. I haven't seen a winning session in forever. I bonus whore as a safety net and my losses are far exceeding my bonii. I'm willing to chalk these things up to variance and improve my game, but if I'm doing something terribly wrong and obvious I'd just like to find out sooner rather than later.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
won at showdown is 55% vs 45% in week 2, could this be it, variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but it also looks like people are picking up on his tendency to fold and are taking shots. His PRF% is down, as is his blind steal %. Almost like he's being c/r off every time the flop is ragged, causing more timid and passive play. Sure do wish we had his aggression numbers. I bet they're all below 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. I think people are taking shots at me and I am playing timid. Unfortunately, I've tried to play back and I wind up with bottom pair against a ragged flopped straight. Just not choosing the right spots.

And I very much do hope variance is contributing to the bulk of this decline. That's the discouraging thing about shorthand play; this downswing is entirely within the realm of possibility for a winning player.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bingo. I think people are taking shots at me and I am playing timid. Unfortunately, I've tried to play back and I wind up with bottom pair against a ragged flopped straight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Switching tables is easier and more effective than playing back.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:17 AM

dude, it looks like you've played 143 hands of 6max. all the rest of your hands appear to have been at a full ring game.

false advertising is WEAK.

Barron
Old 03-12-2006, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Short-handed it great once you get the hang of it. I play it almost exclusively now. Since there aren't a lot of books on the subject, one can find $20/$40 games with at least two or three fish (pretty good out of five opponents), and $5/$10 games with three or four. Also, the skill level at $5/$10 isn't any higher than at $3/$6, so you'll be able to move up once you get the hang of the game. I multitable $20/$40 now and have been running over 2 BB / 100. It just takes time and patience. Also, the rakeback is much higher, as you'll play more hands (hopefully your superior play will make up for the rake being taken out in the first place).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. This is my eventual goal, to be able to build my bankroll steadily with my winnings, and take the rakeback for myself as income. Does anyone else think this skill level of your opponenets doesnt change much past a certain point ($3/$6)?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, it looks like you've played 143 hands of 6max. all the rest of your hands appear to have been at a full ring game.

false advertising is WEAK.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why it displays that way, poker tracker cant distinguish between 6-max and full tables at some sites. If it is full ring, it's no wonder I'm losing with these stats.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Short-handed it great once you get the hang of it. I play it almost exclusively now. Since there aren't a lot of books on the subject, one can find $20/$40 games with at least two or three fish (pretty good out of five opponents), and $5/$10 games with three or four. Also, the skill level at $5/$10 isn't any higher than at $3/$6, so you'll be able to move up once you get the hang of the game. I multitable $20/$40 now and have been running over 2 BB / 100. It just takes time and patience. Also, the rakeback is much higher, as you'll play more hands (hopefully your superior play will make up for the rake being taken out in the first place).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. This is my eventual goal, to be able to build my bankroll steadily with my winnings, and take the rakeback for myself as income. Does anyone else think this skill level of your opponenets doesnt change much past a certain point ($3/$6)?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably just hop into 100/200 once you can beat 3/6 then.