Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: NL 10: Call Stations, What To Do?

beating calling stations is childs play.

i) raise good starting hands preflop.

ii) when you flop ahand that you thnk is ahead VALUE BET - and make those value bets about 3/4 pot minimum.

iii) if you think you are behind on the flop - FOLD.

in the hand posted just c/f the flop.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
10NL full tilt = 10% rake, isn't it?

Move up!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct. Thank god for rakeback. It is very very hard to play NL10 at FTP and have a decent winrate vs 'Stars or others. I looked through my PT database and found that over about 20K hands at each site with similar stats I have about a 3X better win rate at 'Stars mainly due to the rake. I plan to move to NL25 on FTP soon though
Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 AM

C-betting seems to be preached so hard at levels above NL10. But C-betting seems to be a death wish at NL10. I have experimented with eliminating most C-betting. Virtually no C-bets OOP and only C-betting in position when the flop comes with absolutely no danger. This strategy actually seems to work. (maybe I'm wrong)

I understand all good players will tell you this is wrong but I feel it is a good adjustment for such low stakes. If you C-bet less and then make all your value bets and extract the maximum amount of money when you know you are good you will be way better off. The fish will always pay you off on your big hands at this level and C-betting at them every flop is suicide. I have to learn this lesson myself.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
C-betting seems to be preached so hard at levels above NL10. But C-betting seems to be a death wish at NL10. I have experimented with eliminating most C-betting. Virtually no C-bets OOP and only C-betting in position when the flop comes with absolutely no danger. This strategy actually seems to work. (maybe I'm wrong)

I understand all good players will tell you this is wrong but I feel it is a good adjustment for such low stakes. If you C-bet less and then make all your value bets and extract the maximum amount of money when you know you are good you will be way better off. The fish will always pay you off on your big hands at this level and C-betting at them every flop is suicide. I have to learn this lesson myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never always/never do something. I find c-betting very useful against the typical 40/10 player you find at .05/.1 that plays everything preflop, then gives up if they miss.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never always/never do something. I find c-betting very useful against the typical 40/10 player you find at .05/.1 that plays everything preflop, then gives up if they miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you mean by "never say never". I didn't quite mean it religiously. My c-betting is also very player specific. I'm normally going to start out C-betting heavily but once I spot a player who is calling them, I slow down. Right away you can recognize who is playing "fit-or-fold". But I find so many people playing 55/5, 50/20, or even 70/10, and the majority of them won't fold to standard c-bets.

Another thing I have seemed to notice is that your C-bet size is very important. I originally would always C-bet about 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot. Now I normally make it full pot. Fish see it as weak if you bet a number lower than the pot size (imo)
Old 11-15-2007, 05:55 AM

I also use the following stats in my HUD

fold to flop bet
fold to turn bet
fold to river bet

My rule is if the first and second are both lower than 30%, cbetting(+2nd barrel) is not gonna work. If fold to flop bet is higher than 50% it's an automatic cbet. In between, it depends. But OTOH there are 12/9/3 nits that fold to bets like 85% of the time. When these guys raise preflop and the board comes Q72r. I am definitely donking there with any hand I called with, because you know they fold AK/99 and a lot of other non-nut stuff there.