Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: So I guess Stars isn\'t asking to show hole cards at FT\'s anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not a big deal, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think its kind of wrong to tack on this requirement without giving anything in return to the players? What's the basis for being forced to reveal your hole cards in an online final table? Obviously it's a great marketing attraction for the site, so it'd be nice if they gave us something in return. Certainly they don't have to, and, since they hold all the strings, probably won't. In any case, it seems uncharacteristic and unfair of Stars to implement this sort of thing, and it doesn't sit well with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you play live televised events what do you get?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not a big deal, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think its kind of wrong to tack on this requirement without giving anything in return to the players? What's the basis for being forced to reveal your hole cards in an online final table? Obviously it's a great marketing attraction for the site, so it'd be nice if they gave us something in return. Certainly they don't have to, and, since they hold all the strings, probably won't. In any case, it seems uncharacteristic and unfair of Stars to implement this sort of thing, and it doesn't sit well with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding?

Edit: Media bonus money
Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not a big deal, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You get screwed!

I'm more-or-less serious, and I think being on tv is mostly useless and annoying. BUT, it does create possible opportunities for ancillary income, gives you the chance to express yourself (in whatever limited fashion, through poker) to an international audience and your own 15 seconds of fame, etc.

But the reason you pointed out still lends to the argument that Stars is doing the wrong thing...we know we get screwed with things in the live poker world, and Stars is supposed to be a more friendly and accommodating venue for poker.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Ok, i agree there should be some sort of compensation - but i dont think its a big deal if they dont.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:52 PM

I posted this like a month ago:
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think [the number of players in the mil would drop if they required showing it], but I see no point in doing it. Live 10ks require players to show their cards and in return the players get avenues to sponsorship deals, fame and the game gets huge tv coverage, so it makes sense to require participating players to give up their right to not disclose their cards for the greater good of the game, tournament and player.

PStars would be asking players to give up the same thing in return for basically nothing at all, it wouldn't get the players signed to any kind of deal any faster and even if it didn't turn players away it wouldn't make the fields bigger/fishier either (in fact you could make a very strong argument that knowing that each hand will be replayed to death and scrutinized by tons of people may make the FTs tougher); so why should we be forced to show our cards if we don't want to?

Requiring players show their cards under the current conditions would be silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

To reiterate to answer Badger:
If you showed up at the WSOP in 2003 or whenever it was and they said we're showing hole cards this year so ESPN will expand coverage huge, you as a player are receiving huge compensation (even if you didn't see it at the time, it would become obvious soon enough).
And still today there are 10ks that show hole cards and some that don't -- the ones that do, the ones that get tv coverage, are a lot bigger and a lot softer.
Do you really think the mil will get easier because of this? No way.
In fact, as mentioned, I think it might get tougher at the FT. I know some ppl might laugh at the idea that a replay is more of an incentive than playing for a quarter mil. But, just for example, maybe last week some busto mid stack guy who was so desperate to move up in the money might not play as weaktight/horribly given the knowledge that tons of strangers and all his poker playing buddies will see his cards on the replay.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha i forgot to email them back last week to tell them they could show mine

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. I opened the replay yesterday hoping to see your cards, but instead I was forced to see Forcewithme fold every hand.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:55 PM

Another thing is that the amount of information you wind up agreeing to reveal at an edited tv final table is absolutely trivial compared to the info you give up by being forced to show every move you make in an online FT.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing is that the amount of information you wind up agreeing to reveal at an edited tv final table is absolutely trivial compared to the info you give up by being forced to show every move you make in an online FT.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is especially true because, in theory, the hands shown on TV will be going to showdown and your cards would be revealed regardless in a lot of cases (or at least 1 of the players in the hand).

If you can see hole cards the entire time for every hand it really gives insight into how someone plays, TV edited FTs are quite a bit different.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:30 PM

But you don't have to play the Sunday Million in the first place....nobody makes you play it. If it bothers you that much then don't play.

Isn't there a $215 Sunday warm-up and also a $215 second-chance that have decent sized prize-pools also?

Seriously, I don't see what the big deal is.
Stars wants to take one or two tourneys and say, "For these tourneys we are going to show all the hole-cards in the replay" and then give you the choice of 8-zillion other tourneys where they do not have any kind of replay.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM

seeing every single hand...this is going to help numerous players with their endgame strategy.