Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 04:43 AM

Default Programs used on Wall Street

For those of you who've worked on Wall Street or know a great deal about it.. I'm looking for some tips on padding my resume. Would say, an IB recruiter find it pleasing if a candidate has C++ and other computer programming licenses or would that just make them refer you to their IT department.

Also, does anyone know what programs or any good preparations for those modeling programs IB's use? If anyone knows of anything that will help prepare me for a career into the field it will be greatful. All I know of right now is, get your gpa as close to 4.0 as possible, and kick ass on Super Saturday Interviews. btw, is it vital that I get an internship this summer, heading into my 2nd year?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Programs used on Wall Street

[quote Would say, an IB recruiter find it pleasing if a candidate has C++ and other computer programming licenses

[/ QUOTE ]

say what?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:36 AM

C++ is good if you know it. If you write you're proficient in it on your resume you better be able to show that in the interview. I'm not in the industry yet, but from what I've heard, C++ and VBA are the main tools quants use. I'm not sure if that's what you're going for. If you're just looking to be an investment banker, I'm not sure how relevant it is.

Internships at IB's are usually designed for students after their junior year. If you could get an internship after your freshman year, that would be awesome.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:07 PM

Matlab. Matlab is much more powerful than excel but does not require the programming skill of C++. It is widely used in many QR departments. You can get a student version for about $100 or a free clone called scilab.