Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Looking more professional, a fashion thread

[ QUOTE ]
Here's an example of a horrible one where the bottom of the knot isn't pinched tight enough:

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this your personal opinion or is that a standard? That knot looks completely fine to me.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 PM

I've started buying a lot more french cuff shirts. Is there any type of guideline that people go by in deciding to wear cufflinks vs silk knots? Is one more proper than the other in certain situations?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've started buying a lot more french cuff shirts. Is there any type of guideline that people go by in deciding to wear cufflinks vs silk knots? Is one more proper than the other in certain situations?

[/ QUOTE ] Silk knots are more casual. So I wouldn't where them with a "power suit." Fine for a more casual suit.

(Some purists say that you should never wear french cuffs without a suit. I disagree and own several french cuff shirts that I wear semi-regularly, even though I almost never wear a suit.)
Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 AM

I was going to ask about this next. I also bought a black suit and a couple pairs of charcoal slacks, the suit will be for special occasions but I'd still like to be able to wear the french cuff shirts with just a tie and slacks...
Old 08-07-2007, 02:28 PM

I am wondering what the general consensus on pleated trousers is. I have two nice suits, and the Brooks Brothers I got pleats. I then purchased a J. Press suit and they don't even make pleated trousers as they have tried to keep the same "Ivy League" look since the early 1900's. I feel that I prefer flat front slacks since I am tall and thin, but currently most of my nice trousers are pleated and my casual khakis are flat front.

I had previously assumed pleats were dressier but now it seems a creation for ever more overweight men. Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am wondering what the general consensus on pleated trousers is. I have two nice suits, and the Brooks Brothers I got pleats. I then purchased a J. Press suit and they don't even make pleated trousers as they have tried to keep the same "Ivy League" look since the early 1900's. I feel that I prefer flat front slacks since I am tall and thin, but currently most of my nice trousers are pleated and my casual khakis are flat front.

I had previously assumed pleats were dressier but now it seems a creation for ever more overweight men. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think flat front is definitely better if you are not fat and are wearing trousers without a jacket. However, I think pleats are still considered standard for suits, whether you are a fatty or not.

I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, thats just my general impression.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great advice. i esp like the advice on collars. There's nothing worse that an otherwise great shirt ruined by a [censored] up collar w/ rounded edges or too narrow or button down or it's white and my shirt is blue. WTF? I'm not casting for Wall Street 2 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You laugh now, but the Wall Street look will make a comeback when the 2nd one comes out in the summer of '09. Tell me this doesn't look good:

Old 08-07-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's an example of a horrible one where the bottom of the knot isn't pinched tight enough:

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this your personal opinion or is that a standard? That knot looks completely fine to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also fail to see the horrificness of it.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's really a consensus. Either pleated or flat are fine for suits. If you're tall and thin, flat may look better.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to ask about this next. I also bought a black suit and a couple pairs of charcoal slacks, the suit will be for special occasions but I'd still like to be able to wear the french cuff shirts with just a tie and slacks...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... interesting. French cuff shirts are the dressiest dress shirt you can wear, so I think it's a little odd to wear them with slacks and a tie only.