Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Some scary stuff about the dollar

3 or 4 yrs. ago, I was getting an ins. check for a house fire, so I was planning on investing it in silver which was hovering around $6.5 at the time. My ins. check has been sitting in a trust acct. at my attorney's all this time & silver has now doubled. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 AM

See if I'm buying gold or silver as a hedge against financial meltdown. I don't want it on paper or sitting in a bank somewhere. I want the real stuff in my house, hidden and locked away somewhere where the road warriors can't find it.

I also want it in spendable/barterable form. IE - coins. I think if I were constantly shaving off chunks of my gold bullion, word might get out I must have a big block of it. With coins I can always play it off like I'm raiding the last of my grandfather's collection or something.

Yes I have thought this through.

Now I just need $500k and I can start implementing the master plan. Diablo, wanna invest in the suzzer "stave off the road warriors" startup? 10 years from now when the dollar is wallpaper, Bangladesh is underwater, China is invading Taiwan, and Mexico is in anarchy, you'll wish you'd gotten in on the ground floor of this great opportunity.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had multi-millions, it'd be real tempting to keep $500k-$1M or so in gold coins locked in a secret vault in my house, just in case of financial apocolypse. As it is though, I only have debt to worry about. My debt actually is worth less if the dollar soars right? Woo hoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to burst your bubble, but it's very possible this would happen in case of financial apocolypse:

1933 Gold Confiscation Act
Old 09-24-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I had multi-millions, it'd be real tempting to keep $500k-$1M or so in gold coins locked in a secret vault in my house, just in case of financial apocolypse. As it is though, I only have debt to worry about. My debt actually is worth less if the dollar soars right? Woo hoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to burst your bubble, but it's very possible this would happen in case of financial apocolypse:

1933 Gold Confiscation Act

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons why I bought my gold in the Perth mint.