Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 AM

Default UTG limps then pushes. Monster or not?

Full table. Everybody has around 15bb. UTG limps. You raise to 4bb with TT from MP. Folds around to UTG who pushes. He's done nothing exceptional up until now. Call or fold?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Re: UTG limps then pushes. Monster or not?

I think you see AK, AA, or KK most of the time here unless you have seen something to indicate otherwise.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:44 AM

This really depends on the stakes. Early in a low-stakes online tournament ($22 and down, at least), I call. I've had this exact situation about 4 times in Stars 20/180s (raised with TT or JJ behind an EP limper who limp-pushed over my raise), and so far I've never seen anything better than AQ, and I've seen hands as bad as A4o.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's done nothing exceptional up until now. Call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on what would qualify as "exceptional".

Are you playing with a group of aggressive pros, is the an insane LAG-fest, or are you up against a bunch of weak-tight fishes?

Everybody is obviously about to get uncomfortably short stacked. It matters how many hands there are until next blind increase, and how big it's going to be.

Is this live (tells) or online? And what's the buy-in?

Online at lower buy-ins (say $50 and below) I see tons of players make this move with hands as weak as 66 or AQ. I'm not saying you're supposed to play that loose.

The pot is offering you 20.5 BB for the cost of 16 BB, or approximately 1.3 : 1. So you need to win approximately 44% of the time to make a call break even. With the suggested range you're cool.

Even if we exclude that villian could hold 88, 77 and 66 you're still getting the odds you need. And if we throw in Harrington's 10% sheer bluff factor you pretty much need to be able to put him on a very narrow range to fold here.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 03-15-2006, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This really depends on the stakes. Early in a low-stakes online tournament ($22 and down, at least), I call. I've had this exact situation about 4 times in Stars 20/180s (raised with TT or JJ behind an EP limper who limp-pushed over my raise), and so far I've never seen anything better than AQ, and I've seen hands as bad as A4o.

[/ QUOTE ]

True dat.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, this is a trend that I've grown to hate. Two MP limpers to hero, who raises 5BB with AQ, first limper folds, second pushes.

This is, at best, a middle pair every time. They think you are running some sort of bluff, and want to "trap" you with their hand. I this case I called, and lost a race to 55.

Do NOT try this in other tournaments. The 180s are a breed apart.