Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 05:07 PM

Default My set needs a line vs. decent regular .5/1

villain is winning regular I play with a decent amount. He is positional LAG but nothing special imo. Not particularly tricky or ultra aggressive, just solid. I always try to run the table when he sits with me but it pisses me off that he has gotten the best of me once or twice when I repopped him in pos with trash. Once I repopped him in CO with Q7s and c bet a J high flop with two clubs, he min check raised me with the flush draw, I almost shoved Q high back at him but elected to fold due to stack sizes. My lack of respect for his game may have been the reason I went for a thin value bet.

Hero (CO) 160
villain (BTN) 400
sb 80
bb 115

hero dealt 9h9s

hero raises to 4, villain calls, sb calls, bb folds

flop: Ks 9d 8d
pot: 14
sb checks, hero bets 10, villain calls, sb folds

turn: 2d
pot: 34
hero bets 24, villain calls

river: 3c
pot: 83
hero bets 53, villain is all in

so he obviously turned a flush according to his river bet. My question is vs. someone with his postflop capabilites and image, how do you paly this hand. Is anyone playing the turn and river differently?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: My set needs a line vs. decent regular .5/1

What is he calling twice with that he called pre? I'd rather c/c to induce a bet because I assume he bets when checked to. You should have a plan for what you're doing when you bet if he shoves. I'm guessing fold now but I hate doing it.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:18 PM

Check call river if a flush/bluff is what composes his range. Tough to put him on a hand you beat that calls 3 bets here.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is he calling twice with that he called pre? I'd rather c/c to induce a bet because I assume he bets when checked to. You should have a plan for what you're doing when you bet if he shoves. I'm guessing fold now but I hate doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his calling range is wider than his betting range unless he will turn hands like Ad9x into a bluff. Otherwise he just can't have that many hands with no showdown value because the fd got there and he is not calling the turn with a straight draw.

b/f >> c/f >> c/c
Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 PM

the river is an easy fold imo. Yea it kinda sucks i'm just wondering if this is too thin vs a decent reg. Im not sure my plan was that good, thats why I posted this. Are you check calling the river or turn. I feel that bet foldign the river has to be better than check calling. There coould possibly be some value from pair of kings or a retardedly played two pair. Once I bet the turn do you think he bets worse than a flush on the river? His bluff frequency is not that high by the river on this board. I just feel like I played the hand poorly, idk. This is my standard line vs ur avg dumb ass at .5/1 just don't know if its good vs. a winning regular.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:24 PM

how much we check calling here? like up to 2/3 pot?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:25 PM

c/c turn.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the river is an easy fold imo. Yea it kinda sucks i'm just wondering if this is too thin vs a decent reg. Im not sure my plan was that good, thats why I posted this. Are you check calling the river or turn. I feel that bet foldign the river has to be better than check calling. There coould possibly be some value from pair of kings or a retardedly played two pair. Once I bet the turn do you think he bets worse than a flush on the river? His bluff frequency is not that high by the river on this board. I just feel like I played the hand poorly, idk. This is my standard line vs ur avg dumb ass at .5/1 just don't know if its good vs. a winning regular.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm betting turn and c/c a bet of like 2/3 or lower on river. If we double barrel and give up on the river with a set, think about how often he can run us over when we just have TP there? His range is like JdT, KxQd, KxJd and made flushes (sets too). He's getting JdT, KxJd and flushes, as well as other random hands he has, so a bet of up to 2/3 pot we're getting good enough odds imo to call. If he bets pot or overpots it, we fold.. but c/f river is pretty weak.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/c turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

River plan?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:39 PM

lol @ c/c on ANY street,