Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Players who cannot fold A-K preflop deep in the WSOP ME?

[ QUOTE ]
ok so it's profitable due to the hcips you already have in there.

what about if a guy just random shoves as an opening raise for your stack? now you have nothing invested but obv blinds and antes are in. -EV now?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the guy has been shoving a lot, your AK probably is way better than what he's holding. Also, don't discount the value of the antes - they add up a lot, especially in later levels.
However, if the player's shove is totally unwarranted (he has well over 10x the big blind and you do as well), you can call or fold, depending on how tight you'd like to be. Reasonably, though, there's little excuse for not getting the money in with AK if the situation is right. You'll have to be willing to take +EV risks like this if you want to be a good tourney player.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:15 PM

jv was saying yesterday how dag just flattened whatever table he was at

if a guy is running over the table, occassionally he is goign to get 3 bet by quite the large range of hands.

He has enough to make tran lay down a lot of hands w/ his shove w/ ak'

the hand is SO standard.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in other words, you ran into a forum 3 bet son

[/ QUOTE ]
awesome
Old 07-15-2007, 02:00 PM

AK is the nuts in an over aggro low M game

gotta gambool to win
Old 07-15-2007, 02:25 PM

he plays REALLY good poker OP. this is standard. just got unlucky
Old 07-15-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about if a guy just random shoves as an opening raise for your stack? now you have nothing invested but obv blinds and antes are in. -EV now?

[/ QUOTE ]In late stages of a tournament this is USUALLY a call because people will be open pushing with AQ and other hands you have dominated.

However, if a tight player whose only played the nuts open shoves UTG, you can probably fold AK.

Earlier on in the tournament where you are really deep and players aren't under pressure (real or imaged) to open push then you would fold AK.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:11 PM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this thread
Old 07-15-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shocks me. it's really not that hard. it's just a drawing hand lol ffs.

Dag Martin Mikkelsen Eliminated in 42nd Place ($237,865)

Preflop, Dag Martin Mikkelsen raises to 150,000 in the cutoff and David Tran reraises to 500,000 on the button. Mikkelsen three-bets all in for 2,600,000 with A-K and Tran calls with A-A. Mikkelsen is out and Tran is up to 8,400,000.

bb was 50k. could have been a re-steal... but come on.... he prob has a pair and you're fliping or a big underdog.... maybe just call pre and at least see a flop? no - raises all in. i don't get it... he had over 60 x bb and was in the top 10 in chips.

seen countless other HH's where people play it like it's aces. if you have a low stack then fine....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I layed down AK last week at the final table at Binions, and I even showed it (I wanted to give an image of being very tight as well), and you should of heard the gasps.

I was in the BB, and the UTG (who was 2nd in chips) raised it up to half my stack (I wasn't short stacked).

I knew if I played it would be for all my chips, so I layed it down.

Good thing, because the UTG shocked that I layed it down (and showed it), turned over AA.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
shocks me. it's really not that hard. it's just a drawing hand lol ffs.

Dag Martin Mikkelsen Eliminated in 42nd Place ($237,865)

Preflop, Dag Martin Mikkelsen raises to 150,000 in the cutoff and David Tran reraises to 500,000 on the button. Mikkelsen three-bets all in for 2,600,000 with A-K and Tran calls with A-A. Mikkelsen is out and Tran is up to 8,400,000.

bb was 50k. could have been a re-steal... but come on.... he prob has a pair and you're fliping or a big underdog.... maybe just call pre and at least see a flop? no - raises all in. i don't get it... he had over 60 x bb and was in the top 10 in chips.

seen countless other HH's where people play it like it's aces. if you have a low stack then fine....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I layed down AK last week at the final table at Binions, and I even showed it (I wanted to give an image of being very tight as well), and you should of heard the gasps.

I was in the BB, and the UTG (who was 2nd in chips) raised it up to half my stack (I wasn't short stacked).

I knew if I played it would be for all my chips, so I layed it down.

Good thing, because the UTG shocked that I layed it down (and showed it), turned over AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented much?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it is totally situation dependent, but think OP's hand was very standard. I laid down AKo to a raise at a live final table yesterday. Everyone was fairly short stacked and playing the very live tight style. Most of the table was only playing phil style poker with 77+,AQ+. With no antes UTG open pushed all-in for ~7 BB (this was around the typical stack size). I had about 15-20 BB and AKo in UTG+1. I was abusing the table with raises and liked my stack size and didn't like getting involved for a significant number of chips with the whole rest of the table left to act. My fold was probably too weak tight, but that's my style. Of course 3 hands latter I pushed with 74s in the SB and got the BB to fold with only 2 BB left behind! I pushed in the CO and LP and got no callers. So my lay down was partially under the knowledge that I'd have later better opportunities as long as I kept my stack size what it was. In a tournament with better people left I'd have been forced to repop with my AKo hand.