Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Buying a bicycle

Im thinking of getting a second hand one. Im doing a triathlon in 3 months but it would be nice to have one anyway. I think the majority of my useage will be rides up to 10 miles in urban settings (or along the lake) - it would be nice for it to have mountain ablity, but I wont be doing that very often.

What should I look for? Am happy to spend say $500? idk.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Buying a bicycle

Get a road bike. Don't be fooled into that mountain bike or hybrid bike crap. There are no mountains in Chicago and all the streets are paved.

For $500 you can get a decent new machine. You want to go to a shop that specializes in cycling. They can fit you properly. Additionally, the shop's mechanics build the bikes. Also the shops usually have some good used bikes. Do not go to a sporting goods store.

Be sure to get some kind of clipless pedal system. For example Look or Shimano. Spend some money on some good hard shoes you'll appreciate it.

Once the weather gets nice, riding on the lake sucks any where North of the Museums. But South of the Museums is great. You can go all the way to Indiana if you want.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'll be glad to answer them.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:39 AM

I think road bikes will end up being alot more expensive with all the accesories.
My dad and his friends all ride very seriously and I know you can be spending upwards of 10k on a bike and gear.
If you're looking to spend 500 just get a second hand bike and a pear of new shoes (cleats is it?)
Old 03-12-2007, 12:41 AM

Ya dnt get a hybrid - typically they do both poorly as opposed to one well. Get a road bike and the Shimano SPuD shoes/pedals.

Word of advice - if you haven't used them before practice a few times on the driveway - I have seen a couple of people go to dismount and fall over in a heap.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:58 AM

Dean,

You need to have more information in the OP. $500 could be enough but it also may not be anywhere close to enough.

First off, if you are competing in triathlons then you're a fool to have a mountain bike. There is also a difference between a road bike and a triathlon bike. If you are just doing a triathlon just for grins then it really doesn't matter but I would invest in my bike either way b/c it benefits you in so many ways.

The prices on bikes vary so much that it is tough. For instance just a Kuota (triathlon bike) frameset can get up to 3K.

Just go to a trusted bike shop, it is easy for me b/c Richardson Bike Mart is right down the rode and they are a noted biking authority (see Lance Armstrong) and get fitted. I don't know where you are and some people may not be anywhere near a bike shop. Anyway, they will measure everything. But my advice is that I would invest some money even if I just bought a Trek roadster.

As far as triathlons go you will be spending all your money on cycling. People don't realize how expensive cycling is b/c of how much stuff you have to have.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:10 AM

if you are doing a triathlon you need a rode bike and should get aero bars too.

for riding in the city and (obv) mountain biking you should get a mountain bike. i have a specialized stumpjumper 05' model. i dont think you can go wrong there. ive also had a few old school gary fishers and they were great too.

and darko is rite, cycling is expensive.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 AM

Jeez, I remember when bikes cost next to nothing. And you didn't have to wear special gear for them either. How much of this expense is really necessary for someone who just wants to wheel around some bike paths in the suburbs or at the beach?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:36 AM

Blarg,

You can get cheap bikes for plowin' around. But for racing the money makes a very big difference, its the equivalent of Jeff Gordon getting into his car for the Indy 500 and his sponsors, nobody has spent any money on his car to make it go faster or as fast as the other cars next to him. Aerobars were mentioned, this lessens wind resistance (not to mention way more comfortable!) but it also cost money. The weight of your bike matters, a huge clunky piece of steel is going to look good on the price tag but it isn't going to feel good on your legs when you are trying to get it going.

The bells and whistles you pay for make the bike faster and also make you more comfortable which will in return make you faster which is the whole point.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:36 AM

blarq, you certainly dont need to buy a highend bike and components to tool around the neighborhood or even get a good regular workout. 500 should be plenty.

even better, go secondhand and you can get very close to highend for 500. i was spoiled growing up in that i knew a lot of older bikers that ALWAYS HAD TO HAVE the best product out there. so they had a bunch of couple year old bikes laying around that they didnt use and would either give them to me or i would buy them for cheap.

so ya, go the used bike store or make freinds with old rich cyclists.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:39 AM

I can accept that if you're a competitive racer, just like I can accept competitive swimmers shaving their legs even though they're dudes and it's otherwise pretty LOL. I'm definitely more of the plowin around type, and just need a comfy ride that isn't a piece of lead or anything.