Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Next Limit: My Story so far and ask for advice

Hi,

Fed up with Limit Cashgames I started playing SnGs late November last year at Full Tilt. After some experiments with the smallest (1+0.25$), I played the 5+0.5$ with good profit (ROI +25,2%, ITM 43,8%, 1st 17,3%, 2nd 13,5%, 3rd 13,0%) over 185 tourneys.
Now, my BR seems to think I can go on to 10+1$ (just made it to 1000$), but I'm a bit nervous.
For one thing, I also played some 6$ at PP - only 35, but the result (-35% ROI) was desastrous. I know the samplesize is extremely small, but I'm still a little upset because the difference is so big. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Second, although my ROI at FT is good, I dont think I play that well - its just that the others a simply mad. After a hand is played out, I often think: "Oh well, here a good player would have saved a lot of chips", or "Here I could have made much more playing differently." - Only that at this level it really doesnt matter a lot, the next good spot comes soon enough. But this will probably change in the higher limits. (When I played limit Cashgames, I beat the microlimits easy enough, but already at 1/2$, I started having trouble.)
So, any good advice? How big is the difference in skill between 5,5$ and 11$? Should I stay longer at 5,5? And how long?
Thanks for your opinions. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Next Limit: My Story so far and ask for advice

with 1k br you have plenty for the 11s, but you might want to stick to the 5.50s til you have a good sample size say 300-500. it will help build your confidence. start posting hands here and you will find out soon enough if you are ready to move up.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
over 185 tourneys.
this are not enough Sngs. U should be playing at least 500 or 1k to have real numbers. Witk 1k Bank u could play 10$Sng without problem
Old 01-13-2007, 03:09 PM

You should jump to 10+1. Difference between 5.5 and 11 is almost 0. Instead of having 7 bad players you have 5.

If you have 1k, you could play 70% 5.5 and start playing 30% 11 and see how you are doing. When you feel confident enough, jump 100% to 11.

GL
Old 01-13-2007, 04:08 PM

Hi Absalon, Sounds just like me!!! Have been doing ok at stars in the $5 but kind of get nervous moving up (even though I have the money to afford it). What I tried to do is start 1 of each without looking at the names, that way you do not know which is which and play more normally!!!

Cheers, Auds
Old 01-13-2007, 04:36 PM

with 400$ u have plenty for the 11$Sng. If u are afraid of playing theme make it to 500 at the 6$level and see ur ROI and stas. But theres not much different beteween those levels
Old 01-13-2007, 04:42 PM

You roll is big enough to play the $16s or even higher, so that is not an issue. For me, the limitation to moving up stakes in sngs was always bankroll. I always felt I had an edge on my competition when I moved up, I just simply had to grind the lower limits long enough to get the required bankroll.

However, if you are not confident in your game then I guess you should probably just stick to your current level until you feel you are confident.

But, it is natural to be nervous when you move up. The losses are greater when you lose, so it is something you have to get use to. But, if you never take shots, it may be something you'll never get use to.

I just moved up to 400NL this week. So, suddenly every thing was double. My standard preflop raise, my re-steals, c-bets, everything...double! For the first little bit I was extremely nervous. More nervous than I have ever felt playing poker. However, a couple hours in and all those bets became simply that, bets. I got past the association of a dollar amount, and just worried about making proper size bets without concern about the $'s it represented. So, being nervous is normal, but you may find you get over it quickly, especially if you enjoy some success right off the start.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Difference between 5.5 and 11 is almost 0. Instead of having 7 bad players you have 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no comment on how these games play, but the difference in a table with 5 bad players and 7 bad players is quite a bit more than zero.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Difference between 5.5 and 11 is almost 0. Instead of having 7 bad players you have 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no comment on how these games play, but the difference in a table with 5 bad players and 7 bad players is quite a bit more than zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Also, there is no way there are only 5 bad players at the average $10 sng. At party poker there is an average of 5-6 bad players at every $109.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:33 PM

how did this thread not get locked