Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 01:59 AM

Default QJ sooted

30/8/2.25 over 182

If I have AQ/KK/AA i think i c/r turn all-in or push flop. I can find a fold w/ QJ. Thoughts?

Converted by PokerGeek
Absolute NL Hold'em Ring - 2/2
Blinds (5 handed)

Starting Stacks
Seat 2: Big blind ($96)
Seat 3: UTG (Hero) ($407.68)
Seat 4: CO ($66)
Seat 5: Button ($285.89)
Seat 6: Small blind ($555.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero raises ($8), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls ($8), Small blind folds, Big blind folds

Flop: ($19) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets ($10), Button raises ($26), Hero calls ($16)

Turn: ($71) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets ($50), Hero folds

Final Pot: $68

Results not shown
Old 11-22-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Re: QJ sooted

I think it's fine to go broke with AQ/KK/AA but with QJ I agree it's a fold and I'd play it the same. Just noticed your flop bet size... Definetly bet more.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:20 AM

i may just muck jQss UTG. could be seen as nitish, and i think it certainly may be warped by my recent switch to cash and realization how important position is, but i'd rather 3-bet any 2 on the button then be OOP w/ a hand like JQ.

That may be insane, but flop I'd certainly bet more. And then to the raise I think the real decision is to fold or call and stack off on a blank turn. Almost all villains who "float raised" the turn are gonna fire on the turn. When you call on the flop is there any turn card/action you are gonna like besides a Q?

FWIW, i'm folding to the flop raise unless i've seen villain has a float or small bluff-raise in his arsenal.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:36 AM

What sense was there in calling the flop if you were going to check/fold a blank turn?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What sense was there in calling the flop if you were going to check/fold a blank turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure he fires again w/ weaker Q, underpair, FD if I call.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my issue with that. You're giving up the reins. You're out of position here which means that you're forced to make bigger decisions than he is. When you check that turn, it generally means that you're weak and pussied out. The only information that you're getting by bet/calling the flop and checking the turn is that you now know that villain knows you're not willing to play a big pot, so no matter what he has, he's betting there.

EDIT: Anyway, so what if you're unsure of whether or not he's willing to fire again with a weaker Q? If you check that turn, you're just as unsure, because you still don't know if he's firing a second bullet with QT or 99.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:52 AM

OK PoBoy, i appreciate your ideas re: turn play. So are you folding flop or bet/folding turn, as those seems to be about the only lines consistent w/ what you're saying.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my issue with that. You're giving up the reins. You're out of position here which means that you're forced to make bigger decisions than he is. When you check that turn, it generally means that you're weak and pussied out. The only information that you're getting by bet/calling the flop and checking the turn is that you now know that villain knows you're not willing to play a big pot, so no matter what he has, he's betting there.

EDIT: Anyway, so what if you're unsure of whether or not he's willing to fire again with a weaker Q? If you check that turn, you're just as unsure, because you still don't know if he's firing a second bullet with QT or 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good point, but what's your line here? fold flop or 3 bet flop??
Old 11-22-2006, 03:02 AM

Well, my line here is a little bit read dependent, but absent a read, I fold the flop. That's a scary board even for AQ/KQ/KK/AA, and I would really have to convince myself that he's raising the flop with QT or worse.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 AM

absent reads, i fold flop almost always

given your pfr, it looks like you have AQ or KQ and he doesn't care... so you are very often behind