Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: listening to music while studying

I've also heard the study in a similar environment to the test idea. Also, one of my friends used to always studying listing to music, and found that during tests the lack of music effected him.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 AM

Well I don't think it increases your IQ, but apparently it increases brain activity, which helps you study. It's also a special type of classical music, baroque? IIRC.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard listening to Classical music is good for studying and actually ups your IQ as you listen to it. Don't knw about anything else though. I personally don't use music.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is complete nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not nonsense, this is proven. It has to do with memory recall and stimulus association; you associate the music you are listening to with the material you are studying, which in turn helps your recall IF you are prompted by the same music at a later time...which you won't be while taking a test.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:19 PM

1. The study in the same environment as you will take the test thing is true and I've read several studies on it. One example was studying while smelling chocolate, you do better when tested while smelling chocolate. Of course the cool one to freshman in college is that if you study drunk, you will do better taking the test drunk than sober. Awesome!

One reason law school pisses me off is that they split class in half for tests and put the beginning of the alphabet in the room the class is in. so the above comes into play.

2. I hate Good Charlotte. Alright, hate is a strong word, but I really don't like their music. That being said, whenever I need to study I put on a playlist of 90% good charlotte. for some reason, for me, its like the perfect background noise. I dont care enough about the songs to listen to them, but they fill the silence.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard listening to Classical music is good for studying and actually ups your IQ as you listen to it. Don't knw about anything else though. I personally don't use music.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

u get a temp. boost in IQ, its called the mozart effect...look it up.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not nonsense, this is proven. It has to do with memory recall and stimulus association; you associate the music you are listening to with the material you are studying, which in turn helps your recall IF you are prompted by the same music at a later time...which you won't be while taking a test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to chime in: my seventh grade math teacher played classical music during exams.

Oh, and I can't listen to music while studying, I get distracted...
Old 10-22-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to chime in: my seventh grade math teacher played classical music during exams.

Oh, and I can't listen to music while studying, I get distracted...

[/ QUOTE ]

my 8th grade math teacher did this too, and I absolutely hated it. had i known better i woulda blamed her for my bad grades
Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM

I've always listened to music when I study or do homework, it helps me concentrate because otherwise I would get to easily distracted by what's around me. It really helps in college because there's rarely a quiet moment so I usually just turn whatever I'm listening to do up.
I do have one rule however about what I listen too... I have to know the song fairly well otherwise I get to distracted listening to the song itself.