Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Buying a bicycle

You can probably find a good deal on craigslist if you dig into it for a while. Plan on an extra thirty bucks or so for a bike shop tune it up for you.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can probably find a good deal on craigslist if you dig into it for a while. Plan on an extra thirty bucks or so for a bike shop tune it up for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Is there a short checklist of things to look for before I buy the bike? Things like checking the frame for cracks, etc. Assume you're talking to someone who knows almost nothing about bicycles.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 PM

In the $500 range, I'm a big fan of Specialized if you're not set on getting a road bike. The hybrids and mtn models are very versatile, again, unless you decide you need a road bike for various reasons. If you hit a decent bike shop early in the season you can usually get more bike for your buck because it'll be last years model.

Don't spend the money full suspension unless you plan on using it. Front will suffice for everything including light trails. Heck, no suspension will work for a lot of situations.

I've been riding Specialized for a long time and have always been impressed with the quality. It's not the high end obviously, but $500 will get you a solid ride.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:27 PM

For 500 dollars get a specialized, giant, or trek. They are all basically the same bike with the same components. Get whatever your local shop sells because they will usually do tune ups free for a year.

Nicer bikes dont usually come with pedals and if you are doing a tri. clip in pedals make a big difference to give you more power.

If you are going to be riding alot spend a little more and get a 1000 dollar bike which is much much nicer than a 500 dollar one.

They get nicer at every level. 500,1000,1500,2000 but the jump between 500 and 1000 is pretty huge. You can get things like carbon fiber forks which are nice.

Remember to get a seat that does not make you go impotent. I dont know how much of that is hype or marketing but it's something i dont want to mess with.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:46 PM

Shows how out of the loop I am. I can't even picture a bike without pedals. WTF?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shows how out of the loop I am. I can't even picture a bike without pedals. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg,

This is what they mean. It isn't without pedals, but it's without traditional pedals.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 PM

I think he is talking about buying a bike without pedals, OTB. Blarg, there are 2 or 3 systems for clipping your shoes into your pedals to transfer more of your energy into going forward instead of flexing your shoe. The more expensive the bike the less likely it will come with pedals standard, the assumption is you already have pedals and shoes.

Oh, if you want to see what's going in with bikes today one of the cheapest on-line places is www.performancebike.com. They also have B&M stores around.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg,

This is what they mean. It isn't without pedals, but it's without traditional pedals.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I really meant without pedals. Nice bikes do not come with any kind of pedals. Not even clips. You have to buy them seperatly and put them on.

But yeah you want to put on clip pedals when you do get them. They take a little bit to get used to but not long. When my sister got her first road bike she just road it around the yard for about 10 minutes before she started riding and she was fine.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:36 AM

Wow so you buy special shoes to ride then, right? Or is there some harness you put over your shoe? If not a harness or something around your shoe, do you, umm, put your real shoes in a backpack so you can still walk or something, in regular shoes, after you take off your "biking" shoes? I feel retarded here.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow so you buy special shoes to ride then, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. They are lightweight with hard soles.

[ QUOTE ]
Or is there some harness you put over your shoe?

[/ QUOTE ]

No harness needed with "clipless". The "cleats" hold the shoes onto the pedals. There used to be a system using straps or "toe clips" that held the shoes onto the pedals, but it has since evolved into "clipless" which essentially eliminates the straps.

[ QUOTE ]
If not a harness or something around your shoe, do you, umm, put your real shoes in a backpack so you can still walk or something, in regular shoes, after you take off your "biking" shoes? I feel retarded here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the shoes. The high end road shoes cannot be used for walking. But, there are commuter versions which can be used for walking. Also, Mountain Bike clipless shoes generally can be used for walking, if necessary.