Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 06:49 PM

Default PearlJammer\'s PXF videos seem a little nitty

I was watching the ones from his Sunday Million 2nd place. In the first one, he talks about only raising aces and kings in level 1. In the later ones, he won't resteal with a suited connector, small pair, or ace, because he doesn't want to risk his whole stack due to payout considerations close to or at the final table, and because there are so many bad players.

For example, he open limps QQ and limps behind with JJ early. I really don't understand that kind of approach. He talks about playing QQ mostly for a set in level 1.

The analysis seemed good otherwise, and I could tell he was a strong player, but I really don't think this approach is optimum.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: PearlJammer\'s PXF videos seem a little nitty

optimal??
Old 11-15-2007, 07:13 PM

I would tend to agree. He's obviously a very strong player with excellent reads _but_ it's very suprising to hear such a highly ranked online player talk about his "tournament life" so often.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:16 PM

Playing against him in several tournaments, I have seen him limp AQo on the BTN in the first or second level. I have also seen him limp JJ early also. I busted him at the final table of a rebuy when he was shoving with AJo. One of my friends has watched him play alot of his tournaments, and my friend has said that he does not like to commit chips preflop because he can outplay them on the flop. I have seen him call down with mid PP on scary boards and be right. Whatever he is doing, he is doing right.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:35 PM

I swear since this video came out, everyone's been raising 2.2-2.4x.... I never used to see anything less than 2.5x (besides a pure minraise).

Ya it struck me as pretty nitty as well, however I'm guessing he wouldn't take this approach in the 109r, for example. His approach for the millions may not be optimal, but given his edges it's probably closer than you think. Also, it wasn't as if he were totally risk averse - I recal him making some moves for like 1/3 of his stack or more postflop with air.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 PM

Paging Aejones.

Edit: Might as well through in my own thoughts. I think playing like that early with deep stacks vs bad players is pretty bad and throwing away equity.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paging Aejones.

Edit: Might as well through in my own thoughts. I think playing like that early with deep stacks vs bad players is pretty bad and throwing away equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

i conqour
Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 PM

guy is clearly one of the top players ever, i don't want to say anything or drink the haterade bc he's got a sponsorship deal with full tilt poker i aspire to be like him
Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guy is clearly one of the top players ever, i don't want to say anything or drink the haterade bc he's got a sponsorship deal with full tilt poker i aspire to be like him

[/ QUOTE ]yup him and Balto, 1 and 2.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:16 PM

i like to think of jammer as the online version of hellmuth; he enjoys smaller pots and does really well against weaker players but against strong players i feel he is a dog. note that this isnt an insult towards his game, as any tournament online has enough weak players to make him a +EV player.

i feel like the edge he loses by being nitty in the first few levels is a negligible one.