Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: I Met a Backwards Man

Tom Green had a similar problem.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 PM

Can anyone explain how this illusion works? How does our brain mess it up? It occurs even with one eye closed. I can kind of imagine how it would work with a symmetrical object, but this floors me. Here's my theory. Imagine a straight, diamond shaped pole. As it turns, it will widen and narrow. With the elongated points at zero and 180 degrees, it is narrow, at 90 and 270 it is fat. Imagine it starts with the long points at 90 and 270, and imagine it spinning first clockwise, then CCW. Now think about the individual frames of the point that starts at 270. When it spins CCW from 270 halfway to 225, the frame at that point will be a particular wideness. At 220 it will be slightly thinner. Now think about when the point swings CW from 270 to 315. The wideness will be the same as at 225. It is exactly the same frame. At the frame at CW 320 is identical to CCW 220. It only works if the object is in silhouette.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2007, 05:10 PM

he is obv completely comprised of antimatter borodog DO NOT TOUCH HIM
Old 11-19-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It only works if the object is in silhouette.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, at any given point the silhouette could be facing either direction. This is because the body elements are roughly symmetrical. The face/ponytail are most impressive.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It only works if the object is in silhouette.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, at any given point the silhouette could be facing either direction. This is because the body elements are roughly symmetrical. The perfectly formed breasts are most impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-19-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he is obv your doppelganger borodog DO NOT TOUCH HIM

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-20-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still have no idea which letter I am going to write when I intend to write a lower-case d or b. Its essentially random, unless I spend a considerable amount of time (5 seconds at least) visualizing and trying to figure out which one is which. I am pretty much incapable of memorizing which one has the circle on the left of the line and which one is on the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing. I also mess up lowercase g and q. I hate writing by hand.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still have no idea which letter I am going to write when I intend to write a lower-case d or b. Its essentially random, unless I spend a considerable amount of time (5 seconds at least) visualizing and trying to figure out which one is which. I am pretty much incapable of memorizing which one has the circle on the left of the line and which one is on the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing. I also mess up lowercase g and q. I hate writing by hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its more messed up that I DONT have a problem with q and g. I mean, its the same exact thing, but for some reason I have no problem with that. Good thing I wont be spending most of my life writing in print things that are extremely dangerous is a few letters get juxtaposed, right?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain how this illusion works? How does our brain mess it up? It occurs even with one eye closed. I can kind of imagine how it would work with a symmetrical object, but this floors me. Here's my theory. Imagine a straight, diamond shaped pole. As it turns, it will widen and narrow. With the elongated points at zero and 180 degrees, it is narrow, at 90 and 270 it is fat. Imagine it starts with the long points at 90 and 270, and imagine it spinning first clockwise, then CCW. Now think about the individual frames of the point that starts at 270. When it spins CCW from 270 halfway to 225, the frame at that point will be a particular wideness. At 220 it will be slightly thinner. Now think about when the point swings CW from 270 to 315. The wideness will be the same as at 225. It is exactly the same frame. At the frame at CW 320 is identical to CCW 220. It only works if the object is in silhouette.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wikipedia

Btw, this is a great illusion. love it.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the students was a very nice elderly black man, maybe 65 years old,with an impish love of practical jokes.

[/ QUOTE ]